my scratch built grain mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hooks

Reaction score
I just finished building my grain mill. I found a 12 volt motor that puts out 70 foot pounds of torque, a long ways from the first gear motor I tried... I had a guy in our sheet metal shop design the grain funnel so it holds roughly 20#'s of grain. The grain funnel empties into a soap dish interior shaped plastic part that disperses the grain over the length of the rollers. Knurled rollers are adjustable on excentrics and are 303 SS. Body of the grain mill is 1/2" aluminum plate.

100_0673.jpg

100_0672.jpg

100_0671-1.jpg

100_0670.jpg

100_0638.jpg

100_0636.jpg

100_0634.jpg

100_0668.jpg

100_0669.jpg

What do you use for a power supply and what rpm is the output of that gear motor? Are you sure it's 70 ft-lbs and not in-lbs. Seventy foot pounds is a huge amount of torque. Seventy in-lbs is about what my gear motor puts out at 115 rpm.

Nice work on the build.

What do you use for a power supply and what rpm is the output of that gear motor? Are you sure it's 70 ft-lbs and not in-lbs. Seventy foot pounds is a huge amount of torque. Seventy in-lbs is about what my gear motor puts out at 115 rpm.

Nice work on the build.

It's a 12 volt, 600 Watt gear motor rated at 836 inch pounds which translates to roughly 70 foot pounds, spins at 40 RPM.. thanks for the kind words..

It's a 12 volt, 600 Watt gear motor rated at 836 inch pounds which translates to roughly 70 foot pounds, spins at 40 RPM.. thanks for the kind words..

Wow, that motor's got some power for its size. What do you use for a power supply? It looks like it could draw up around 50 amps @ 12 volts under load. That must require a hefty power supply.

Wow, that motor's got some power for its size. What do you use for a power supply? It looks like it could draw up around 50 amps @ 12 volts under load. That must require a hefty power supply.

12 Volt battery with an inline 50amp breaker between the switch and motor...

Back