Were these proper substitutes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

salbast

Reaction score
Hey guys. Went to LBHS for some brown/amber (35L) malt and pilsner malt (grains). They didn't have any, but the worker there suggested these substitutes:
Crisp pale chocolate malt as a substitute for the brown/amber malt
Weyermann Bohemian Pilsner malt for the pilsner malt.
I just want to make sure these were the proper substitutes.
The recipe called for 1 3/4 lb of the brown/amber malt and 1 3/4 of the pilsner malt. I really don't know much about grains as I always just used extract kits so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Yes, sounds good. It will be a little more chocolate-y (think unsweetened, not candy bar), but the pilsner will taste the same.

What kind of beer you going for?

Thanks.
I'm trying out this DFH 90 Minute IPA clone recipe I found online. Here it is in case anybody's interested.

8 lbs Light Dry Malt Extract

1 3/4 lb German Pilsner Malt

1 3/4 lb Brown (amber) Malt 35 L

2 oz Amarillo Hops 16 HBUs

3/4 oz Simcoe Hops 8 HBUs

1/2 oz Warrior Hops 8 HBUs

1 oz Amarillo Hops -Dry Hop

1/2 oz Simcoe Hops -Dry Hop

1/2 oz Warrior Hops -Dry Hop

Wyeast British Ale Yeast

For Bottling: 1 1/4 cup Dry Malt Extract Or 3/4 cup Corn sugar

Partial Mash:

Add the cracked, Pilsner Malt and Brown Malt to 1 gal of 170º water. This combination of grain and hot water (mash) will drop in temperature to 150º. Let the mash sit for 1 hour at 150º. Sparge (rinse) the grain with 2 1/2 gals of 170º water and collect run off into the boil kettle.

Boil:

Add to the boil kettle, 8 lbs. of Dry Light Malt Extract and bring to a boil. Watch out for boil overs. In a separate bowl, mix together 2 oz. Amarillo hops, 3/4 oz. Simcoe hops, and 1/2 oz. Warrior hops. For the next 90 minutes, boil the wort while adding 1/4 ounce of the hop mixture every 8 minutes. Sparge the hops with cold water into the fermenter. Add the wort to the fermenter with cold water to make 5 gals. Add yeast when the temp reaches 70º. Ferment at 70º for 7 days or until fermentation slows. Rack to a secondary fermenter.

Dry Hopping:

Add the dry hop combination into the secondary fermenter using a hop sack. Let it age 1 weeks in secondary then bottle or keg

If you keg your beer, add the dry hops into keg instead of the secondary.

For bottling, use 1 1/4 cup of dry malt extract or 3/4 cup of corn sugar boiled with 2 cups of water added in the bottling bucket.

Credit goes to this guy
http://forum.alcoholreport.com/t11065/

I think i'd leave out any chocalote malt in an IPA.....maybe throw a pound
Munich or Vienna in there in the mash. Assuming your doing a partial mash, right? If not, just use 1/2 lb. of crystal and call it good.

Hey guys. Went to LBHS for some brown/amber (35L) malt and pilsner malt (grains). They didn't have any, but the worker there suggested these substitutes:
Crisp pale chocolate malt as a substitute for the brown/amber malt
Weyermann Bohemian Pilsner malt for the pilsner malt.
I just want to make sure these were the proper substitutes.
The recipe called for 1 3/4 lb of the brown/amber malt and 1 3/4 of the pilsner malt. I really don't know much about grains as I always just used extract kits so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Pale chocolate is not a substitute for Brown/amber. Completely different.

For my version of the 60/90 Minute I used:
1 lb. Crystal 40L
.5 lb. Victory
6.6 lbs Golden LME
3.3 lbs Pilsen/Light LME
1.0 lbs DME Golden Light

...and similar hops.

So, I don't know where that chocolate came from. I've had to use darker substitutes before, but scaled it back to get the right color and characteristics. But a completely different malt? I dunno. Did the guy know you were making an IPA?

Well, I wouldn't put Brown, Amber or Pale Chocolate Malt in a DFH 90 minute clone. I think the original recipe is steering you wrong. Nothing wrong with putting Pilsner Malt in, though.

You could throw in a pound of Victory, Munich, or Vienna, if you wanted some bready or bisquitty notes.

I'd probably use some Crystal 40L or 60L in this for color and residual sweetness.

So, I don't know where that chocolate came from. I've had to use darker substitutes before, but scaled it back to get the right color and characteristics. But a completely different malt? I dunno. Did the guy know you were making an IPA?

The guy helping me didn't know what I was making, nor did he ask. He seemed like in a rush.

Well, I wouldn't put Brown, Amber or Pale Chocolate Malt in a DFH 90 minute clone. I think the original recipe is steering you wrong. Nothing wrong with putting Pilsner Malt in, though.

You could throw in a pound of Victory, Munich, or Vienna, if you wanted some bready or bisquitty notes.

I'd probably use some Crystal 40L or 60L in this for color and residual sweetness.

OK. Maybe I'll save the pale chocolate malt for something else.

The recipe I have uses 13# 2 row and 6 oz. Marris Otter, but it also says that amber malt can be substituted for the MO.

Thank you. Would this be the same for the 90 minute except more hops?

As I mentioned, I did a 60 & 90 Minute Hybrid (75 minute boil) so I had to research both clones. Surprisingly, my research found two different types of hops used for each recipe instead of an increase of just one type of hops.
If you do decide to go with the 90 Minute, you will probably need an ounce or two more of hops since you'll be making more hop additions. It also depends on how high of an IBU you want to achieve. I recommend using BeerSmith or HopVille to get an estimated IBU so you hit similar numbers to the real thing.

As I mentioned, I did a 60 & 90 Minute Hybrid (75 minute boil) so I had to research both clones. Surprisingly, my research found two different types of hops used for each recipe instead of an increase of just one type of hops.
If you do decide to go with the 90 Minute, you will probably need an ounce or two more of hops since you'll be making more hop additions. It also depends on how high of an IBU you want to achieve. I recommend using BeerSmith or HopVille to get an estimated IBU so you hit similar numbers to the real thing.

Thanks. I'll try this out.

Back