Using a generator to get 220V brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amishland

Reaction score
I am considering using electricity for brewing, lots of conversations on HBT.

My garage does not have an 220V outlet, and it will not be an easy thing to run.

I was talking with my buddy, and we thought that we both already own one why not just use the generator to get 220V?
10000+Watt+Briggs+&+Stratton+Pro+Generator.jpg

What do you guys think?

It will work, provided your generator is large enough for the heating elements but without knowing your specific reasons for going to electricity, it seems like it will be more expensive using a gas powered generator than sticking with propane. Not to mention the noise and ventilation issues... Also, generators seem to have "dirty" electricity in terms of voltage variation. If you will be using a PID controller, I don't know if they will handle the variation very well.

But, if it works for ya, go for it.

Interesting. How many amps? It'd be an interesting way to have a portable rig as well.

Of course, any savings of not using propane are wasted in gas if that matters.

It'll work.

FYI, for $400, I had a contractor install two separate 220VAC circuits in my garage (100+ feet from the service panel). Also included in the $400 price tag was service to my brew hut (a sub-panel + a trench and conduit). I really lucked out on the price, but I can't imagine that a single circuit would cost more than a couple hundred unless the service to your house is extremely limited.

Add up the wattage of your elements (if they will be running together) and make sure your generator is at least a little larger. The elements will put quite a load on the generator so you will likely go through quit a bit of gas. If it were me, I would try to find some way to get wiring installed. It would probably be much cheaper in the long run.

It will work. Most generators produce 30 Amps on the 220V side. Keep the generator far enough way from the brewing area and kick the tunes up to listen to something besides the sounds of the generator.

Plus you don't need to run the generator the whole brew session.

But I do think getting a quote from a electrician for a 220 line in your gargae will help understand the costs between the two methods.

Also what is the costs between using all this electricity vs. propane?

1 pound of propane = 22,000 BTU = about $1 per pound.

22,000 BTU = 6.45kWH @ about $0.11/kWH = about $0.71.

Also an electrical element is 100% efficient. I am sure a burner is no where near that. So, I would guess electrical brewing would be about half the energy cost of propane. Also, no trips to refill cylinders.

I've noticed that the construction trades are willing to make some crazy deals just to get some business. I was talking to a master electrician the other day who only did new construction, he'll crawl through an attic now at bottom dollar rates. It kind of sucks but now is the time to have any kind of construction done.

Yeah, I considered this....I can't really modify my house since I'm renting....for the price of adding the outlet, you'd gain a generator which is a seriously important piece of gear to have if the SHTF. People will literally shoot each other over generators in a crisis situation. But I digress.....:)

Yeah, I considered this....I can't really modify my house since I'm renting....for the price of adding the outlet, you'd gain a generator which is a seriously important piece of gear to have if the SHTF. People will literally shoot each other over generators in a crisis situation. But I digress.....:)

It may not be very practical for you, but you may have (2) receptacles in your house that you could use if you have an electric Range and/or Dryer. I guess it would depend how long a cord you would have to make up. Also, you could put a receptacle near your panel and run a cord to your brew area.

It may not be very practical for you, but you may have (2) receptacles in your house that you could use if you have an electric Range and/or Dryer. I guess it would depend how long a cord you would have to make up. Also, you could put a receptacle near your panel and run a cord to your brew area.

I was already planning on having an electrician out to do some work to allow my generator to be plugged into my panel safely. And wanted a plug on the side of my house near the panel, or a outlet ran to the garage. I would sacrifice a/c for a few hours to brew, but SWMBO may think otherwise :)

The only thing in my house that has right voltage is my a/c unit, I am natural gas for stove oven dryer hot water heater ect.

also if I only use electric for mashing, and continue with propane for boiling, I may not need to worry about 220/240V source.

but as I already own the generator I thought I would toss the idea out to the group for feedback.

For a brief time I considered a generator for portable brewing... but, just to run 5500W it will cost me 800-1000 bucks for a generator... ouch. :drunk:

You already own a 10,000W generator... that is worth 2x as much as my car, I say use it, damn.

I was already planning on having an electrician out to do some work to allow my generator to be plugged into my panel safely. And wanted a plug on the side of my house near the panel, or a outlet ran to the garage. I would sacrifice a/c for a few hours to brew, but SWMBO may think otherwise :)

The only thing in my house that has right voltage is my a/c unit, I am natural gas for stove oven dryer hot water heater ect.

I don't think you would have to sacrifice a/c if you do it right. Just add another breaker for brewing. Especially since you don't have any other 240V loads on your service.

I missed that you have a 10kW generator. That is plenty of power and should work great.

Either way, I would rig up a cord to a panel. Then you can use some GFI breakers and mount a receptacle or two to plug in elements.

I am very partial to electric brewing. I have so far built an electric HLT from a 1/2bbl keg (4500W) but am still using propane to boil. I can't wait to find the time to convert my boil kettle. Electric is so convienient, no fumes and no bottles to refill. I think you will be happy if you find a way to get there.

I have a generator, and I'm in the process of building an electric rig. It has crossed my mind that I "could" take it on the road but doubt that I ever will. I have a 20' cord on my panel... and the thought of listening to the generator running within 20' is not real appealing to me.

Other than the noise, I really don't see any reason you couldn't do it. I'll be interested to see how it goes for you.

Ed

Back