Force carbing at room temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nugent

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have been trying a few different methods for force carbing beer in my cornies. The constant issue is that my kegerator is too small to fit a Corny + a CO2 tank, so I have to carb at room temp, which I know isn't ideal. Here's what I have been doing + the perceived drawbacks (in my mind at least):

1. LHBS guru's method - crank the reg up to 60 psi and hit the full keg with it for a few seconds. Keep doing this for a few days and the carbing level should be "right" in about 4 days. Drawback: Ghetto method limits ability to carb to style; beers done this way seem to be under carbed for some styles.

2. YouTube video method - set reg at 40 psi, hook up hose, tip full keg on side and roll with foot. Roll for 20 mins or so, then put in kegerator for 2 day to chill. Positives: Seems to work and carbs quickly. Negs: again, can't carb to style; also, I got beer in my regulator when I turned down the pressure. Duh!

3. Using Beersmith chart method - set reg at desired level for style and take beer temperature into account, carb beer for ??? days. This is where I fall short on knowledge. How long should I keep this carbing at room temperature? Is this an acceptable method? Can I use my regulator dials, which seems to show a lower psi in the keg over time, to know when enough is enough?

I know that I'm asking how to do something that isn't the ideal way to do it. Yes, I will get a different fridge eventually, but this isn't possible at the moment (just got married and the VISA bill arrived last week:().

Thoughts?

First of all, I don't think many people put CO2 in their fridge anyways. I run a gas line through my fridge.

Second, the 3rd option is ALWAYS the best bet when carbonating. It allows you to check on it as it progresses, instead of accidentally over or undercarbing it. I set my PSI from 10-15 psi depending on the temps and beer style, and I leave it for a week. It takes a bit more time, but it's better in the long run.

Back