Stainless Steel Tank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fudaddy

Reaction score
Passing this along for anyone in the St. Louis area. I saw this on Craigslist. To far for me to travel to get it.

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/mat/2828162710.html

Let me know if you get it and what you plan on making.

5I85Nb5Ha3Fb3M33Idc1vbc5dc16aeef11f97.jpg

5Ld5Kc5H33K93Id3Lbc1vf63495acacd51a79.jpg

could be a good deal depending on the details- what it was used for, whats inside... etc.

if 100# capacity was liquid volume, that should be around 12 gallons.

could be a good deal depending on the details- what it was used for, whats inside... etc.

if 100# capacity was liquid volume, that should be around 12 gallons.
Years ago I was at a homebrew club meeting and a member named John proudly showed off the big stainless steel tank he recently acquired from a chemical company surplus sale. John was hoping to use it as a fermenter. Several club members who also happened to be employees of the chemical company, read the warning label still adhered to the tank. They informed John that the tank was used to house a chemical that causes testicular cancer in lab mice. John put it out to the trash. LOL!

Years ago I was at a homebrew club meeting and a member named John proudly showed off the big stainless steel tank he recently acquired from a chemical company surplus sale. John was hoping to use it as a fermenter. Several club members who also happened to be employees of the chemical company, read the warning label still adhered to the tank. They informed John that the tank was used to house a chemical that causes testicular cancer in lab mice. John put it out to the trash. LOL!

He wasn't going to clean it before use?

Google is your friend. Looks like it might be a cryogenic tank used to store Argon gas. http://www.hse.gov.uk/cdg/pdf/standard/dot4l.pdf

Page 13 explains the markings on the tank.

My continued reading of the doc shows it could also be used to store liquid oxygen. Either way it looks like a really nice tank that could be used...after thorough cleaning.

I tried to call the guy but got no answer. I was going to ask him if he knew what it had been used for previously.

The guy called me back and said that it had liquid nitrogen in it and it came from a hospital.

Better than fine. Nitrogen, argon, oxygen, co2, water, sugar water, etc. These are all wonderful things to hear when buying a tank.

Soak with hot caustic over night, then drain, and clean as you would a new pot from the store. ;)

He asked me directly if I was going to use it for homebrew, so he is aware of its usefulness. This might explain why he wants $100 for it. Other than that, I posted what else he said.

I've never seen a tank like this before so it could be worth the $100, I just wasn't willing to pay that.

He asked me directly if I was going to use it for homebrew, so he is aware of its usefulness. This might explain why he wants $100 for it. Other than that, I posted what else he said.

I've never seen a tank like this before so it could be worth the $100, I just wasn't willing to pay that.

Looks great, but I wouldn't pay $100 for it, either.

fudaddy - Washington is only 87 miles from Edwardsville, make it a Saturday drive. :)

I would be interested to see some more photos of this tank.

I have 3 of these tanks.
Paid $40 each.
Still planning on doing something.
I wish I could fine something nice to make a mash tun.
These tanks are too tall/narrow for a mash tun.

Probably very thick insulation so I'm not sure how you would attach any kind of fittings through the walls.

Fertility clinics keep sperm samples in those containers. :rolleyes:

Back