Adding DME to Fermenter - OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schwinn

Reaction score
I brewed an all grain IPA a couple of days ago and was way off on my OG.
I ended up with 1.053 into the fermenter when it should be closer to 1.067.

I have seen discussions about this in the past about just leaving the beer be and dealing with the less alcohol but those only dealt with 4 or 5 OG discrepancy and there wasn't much talk of the bitterness profile.......
I have hopped this thing to around 84 IBU's which would balance out with a alcohol percentage of around 7% so i think i im in trouble since it looks like i will be closer to 5% on the alcohol content.

Any thoughts on adding about a pound or 2 of DME (boiled in as little water as possible) to the fermenter about 3-5 days into fermentation?
I don't expect to get up to 1.067 but if i can make up 1/2 the difference and come in around 6% ill be happy. (or any other sugar recommendations)

Thoughts - need to make a decision in the next couple of days as fermentation is under way.

I've done this for similar reasons before and never suffered ill-effects. It's not ideal, but I don't see any problem with it.

I did this to a Baltic Porter that I recently won a bronze with in a large competition so I don't see any issues as long as you are sanitary.

I did this to a Baltic Porter that I recently won a bronze with in a large competition so I don't see any issues as long as you are sanitary.

Did you just boil the dme with water or did you do as others suggested to me today ----take off some wort (to avoid watering down) and raise sugar and wort to 160 to sanitize and return to fermenter--

When should i add the DME (i am 24 hours into fermentation and is fermenting nicely) - should i wait another day or a few days?

Did you just boil the dme with water or did you do as others suggested to me today ----take off some wort (to avoid watering down) and raise sugar and wort to 160 to sanitize and return to fermenter--

When should i add the DME (i am 24 hours into fermentation and is fermenting nicely) - should i wait another day or a few days?

Just boil with with a little water, cool and pitch in at high krausen and your good to go:)

I boiled 2 lbs of dme in about a half gallon of water, cooled and added about 24 hours after fermentation took off. Just like duboman says. Just be careful of boilovers, use as little water as possible but the high concentration boiling will boil up and over real quick if you aren't paying attention.

Back