Competition requiring cider to be in 750ml bottles!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IXVolt

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I was thinking about entering a cider I've made into a local harvest fair competition this year. But according to the rules, ciders are in the amateur wine category and as such need to be submitted in standard 750ml wine bottles.

Does everyone else submit their cider this way? Or do other competitions allow 10-14 oz capped bottles? Also since it's carbonated, they require proper wire closures. Which I understand.

Is it worth asking if hard cider can be submitted via bottle, or should I just skip it?

Some breweries, instead of using 22oz bombers to bottle their beer, use 25.4oz(750mL) bottles with regular sized bottle caps. I know for sure that DFH does this with many of their beers. If the competition is willing to let you submit a capped 750mL bottle instead of a corked one, then that's the way I'd go.

Just keep in mind that those 750ml capped bottles typically have larger bottle caps than a standard 12oz or 22oz bottle. You might need different caps and a different bell on your capper.

Just keep in mind that those 750ml capped bottles typically have larger bottle caps than a standard 12oz or 22oz bottle. You might need different caps and a different bell on your capper.

Hmmmm....

Then there's the problem with me giving away 750ml of AMAZING cider.
I think if they will accept cider in a 12oz bottle I'll do that, if not I'll drink it myself! Seems like too much hassle to conform.

Most competitions want 2-4 12 oz bottles, so you'll be getting off easy with 750 ml.

Just a follow up.

I was able to submit 2 12oz bottles. And my Cider took 1st. :cross:

20120921_190551b.jpg

Back