Banana Spice Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaron

Reaction score
This was my first mead. It came out delicious, if you like bananas and cloves.

15 lbs ripened bananas (ripened to have large brown spots)
10 lbs clover honey
1 oz cloves
0.2 oz ginger powder
0.1 oz allspice
0.2 oz cinnamon
1 can white grape concentrate

Boil banana slices, cloves, cinnamon, and ginger (all in a grain bag) in enough water to thoroughly cover the ingredients for 45 minutes. Remove solids, add honey and water, and boil for another 15 minutes. Put in carboy and add Campden tablet, yeast nutrient, and an appropriate amount of pectic enzyme (I used 2 tsp).

This mead came out really well. I would recommend adjusting the recipe for your own tasted. If I were to try this one again, I would use less cloves, and figure out a way to bring out more of the banana flavor.

How much did it make and how much water do you add the banana honey slurry to?
This sounds awesome, I love bananas

Quick question. I made a four gallon batch - distributed between a 3 gallon car boy and another one gallon. The one gallon carboy is clearing remarkably fast...while the three gallon is moving along at a normal pace. Has anyone had unusual activity with this mead once it's been moved into secondary?

Quick question. I made a four gallon batch - distributed between a 3 gallon car boy and another one gallon. The one gallon carboy is clearing remarkably fast...while the three gallon is moving along at a normal pace. Has anyone had unusual activity with this mead once it's been moved into secondary?
Don't worry I've had the same issue with banana wine brewing I had 4 batchers 3 cleared up one took 5 month to clear. Still tasted good

Back