Sediment in bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRHunter

Reaction score
I did a 5 gallon batch of a wheat beer and there seems to be a lot more sediment in my bottles than I was expecting. I was pretty careful about not getting any of the crud from the carboy into the bottling bucket. And again, I was pretty careful not to get any crud from the bottling bucket in the bottles. So was I not as careful as I thought? Or is a fair amount of crud to be expected in a wheat beer? And as a follow up question, would racking my beer to a secondary for a few weeks clear up the crud?

wheat beer has a lot of yeast that doesn't flocc. You can try to cold crash before transfering to bottling bucket but its suppose to be cloudy

kryolla, I'm not a big wheat fan so I don't know if it is for all styles, but don't wheat people prefer the yeast in their beers, and actually swirl it up in the bottle before pouring it it in a glass? And aren't Hefes intentionally cloudy, like you said because of low flocculating yeast?

A secondary would probably help a bit. You will still get a little sediment more than likely, but you can minimize it. You could also let it sit a little longer before bottling. I bought a Belgain Wit the other day and there was sediment in the bottom of those. Heck, I picked up a 6 of that Bud Light Wheat and it tells you on the bottle to roll them to mix in the sediment. If those guys are getting some in their beer, its safe to say you will too.

kryolla, I'm not a big wheat fan so I don't know if it is for all styles, but don't wheat people prefer the yeast in their beers, and actually swirl it up in the bottle before pouring it it in a glass? And aren't Hefes intentionally cloudy, like you said because of low flocculating yeast?

yeah I usually leave a little bit of beer left, swirl it around then pour it. The only wheat beers I've made are hefe and wits. I personally wouldn't cold crash a wheat but if the op wants less crud than thats an option or put some finings while you cold crash

Wheat beer is delicious. That's my very first batch and what I just bottled today. It's fairly cloudy, and I don't expect nor care if it clears at all. I like the crud, but that's just me.

Next time make a Kristalweizen, instead of a straight up wheat. You'll need to use a different yeast that flocs out, or you could even use gelatin & whirlfloc to help with the clearing. But as stated earlier American Wheat's and Hefeweizen's are meant to be cloudy, don't fear the unclear!

Back