Help with yeast problem.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rooster5150

Reaction score
I was trying a Hefe. Never done one before but brewing for a few years now. With no trouble for atleast the last 2 years.

Recipe:

8 lbs Wheat
5 lbs American 2 row.
.5 lbs Munich 10L
.5 lbs Crystal 20L

Steeped @ 158 for 1 hour
Sparged with 170 degree water.

Total boil volume 7 gal boil for 1 hour with 1 oz of Tett for the full 60 mins

Used a 24 hours yeast started of Wyest #3068 Wheinstephan Weizen

Took a reading, got 1.056, pitched yeast @ 68 degrees.

7 days later took a reading, got 1.030?????? WTF is that correct!!!! That sounds really bad but this is my first Hefe.

My IPA's and Porters are usually done in 7 days, maybe 10.

For instance I did an IPA 1 day before the Hefe. 1.068 fermented down to 1.012 in 7 days.

Is this thing ruined? Should I leave it for another week, cuz nothing seems to be happening. Should I try to ferment again on top with new yeast?

I need to replace it soon if it's F'd up. Having a big Thanks Giving need lots of Beer.

Did you really mash at 158? Have you ever mashed that high before?

Mashing that high (if your thermometer is accurate) means you'd have far less fermentable sugar than if you mashed at, say, 150-152. In my case, I mash some stouts and even my Dead Guy clone at 156, but 158 is even too hot for me. I wouldn't mash a hefeweizen anywhere near there.

I'd leave it for another week before considering it done, but it might be done.

Is it warm enough now? I did the Lagunitas IPA clone and it mashed at 160. It went down to 1.016 easily. I would just think that you might not be fermenting warm enough for the yeast, though if you did an IPA next to it and it went down to 12, then you are probably warm enough.

My thinking is that you mashed high and might not have gotten the full conversion you thought you did, so the yeast is having a hard time eating it all up. Good luck though.

Yeah it was fermenting around 68-70. The mash is ok too. You can mash between 150-165 and still be good. I doubt that's the problem.

I usually just get in between 150-158 and that's where I leave it. I have done it that way for years. Stouts, Porters, and IPA's.

Like I said, It's my first Hefe so I'm not sure if it takes longer or whatever like a Helles or something.

Who knows maybe It is a high mash temp for a Hefe but It's not crazy high. I guess it gives me something to do next weekend if it doesn't move.

I have heard of people mixing in lager yeast also so perhaps I shoulda done that too.

Back