Starting HERMS Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjhockey

Reaction score
Well after a few months of research I've finally decided to take the plunge. I have several problems that come to mind. And I was hoping to get some help on them.

First and foremost, is I the fact that i've never ever used any temp controllers so I'm driving blind here. I've read about many different kinds and found Fuji Electric PXR3 but i'm not sure if that will work or not.

Second, I am using The Pol's basic HEX concept with a used wort chiller in my HTL with of course some of my own tweaks. I was thinking of just using 2 120v elements in there mounted on the sides if that is possible or should it be mounted on the bottom.

Please please please give me some input as to what I should be doing. IF at all possible. Maybe if the temp controller above isn't good enough list some alternatives.

I am also looking to make my kettle electric but I figure i'd start with the mash.

You only need 1 element in your HLT... i have one 1220V element in a 10 gallon gott cooler and it heats up in around 30 min to mashing etmps...i used this

Wort-O-Matic: The Electric HLT (or how I built a water heater in a cooler))

also, at that price for the temp controller i would just buy a ranco... it comes pre aligned and all set up except for some easy wiring...

ETC-111000 Ranco Digital Temp Control 120/208/240V - eBay (item 280262602604 end time Jan-29-09 19:03:44 PST)

i recently built one of these so if you have any more questions i'd be glad to help...

Well I built my new stand last night, and picked up a new rubbermaid cooler for the HLT, since I already have another one for my mash tun. Also picked up a 2000w heating element because I'm usually short on time and want hot water faster. Now just to select the right PID, I've narrowed it down to the one I have listed in my previous post 1/16 DIN PID Temperature Controller (Relay Output) I was hoping someone could help me out here as again I'm still not that familiar with these items but I learn pretty easily.

Back