Question from a cider newbie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firehawk69

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm currently working on my first cider batch and I have a question. There is a strong sulphur smell coming out of the airlock right now and I was curious if there was anything I could do to get that to go away. Would it be possible to use campden tablets in the secondary to get the smell gone? I never had to use campden when I make mead as I have never had the sulphur problem before. Please help!

The first time I had this problem I had forgotten to add yeast nutrient before pitching. Added some belatedly, and racked to secondary where the smell/taste subsided (but didn't quite get rid of it).

Firehawk69 said:
I'm currently working on my first cider batch and I have a question. There is a strong sulphur smell coming out of the airlock right now and I was curious if there was anything I could do to get that to go away. Would it be possible to use campden tablets in the secondary to get the smell gone? I never had to use campden when I make mead as I have never had the sulphur problem before. Please help!

It should go away on its own after a few days or so. It means the yeast is stressed which could be from lack of nutrient....however mine did that even tho I used nutrient

I haven't had the sulfur issue myself, but lots of people do. The consensus to me seems that it goes away after a few days. I'd hang tight, you're probably apt to do more harm than good by playing around...

I've put together a couple batches of EdWort's Apfelwein and definitively noticed a sulfur/banana aroma during the first few days of fermentation each time. By the time it ends up getting kegged and served the aroma is totally gone. Take measures to try and tweak it if you want... But I figure if you add something to it and the aromas are gone when the time comes to serve... you're going to be convinced that it was your adjustments that took care of the problem when, in reality, its just as likely that the issue could have just gone away on its own with time.

I suppose it doesn't really matter much one way or the other what you decide to do... IMHO taking the least amount of action the first time makes sense and you can build/modify your recipe/procedure on future batches.

Thanks for all the advice everyone! The smell has gone away, at least for now. The cider has stopped fermenting and the bulk aging begins! I can't wait to try this out

did you do anything to it? Or just let it go?

I'm starting to realize that, for the most part, in homebrewing it's best to be a bit lazy.

Unfortunately, on top of being lazy, most of us are also anxious...

I added another TBSP of nutrient and just let it ride. Now it stopped fermenting and is going for clarifying and fining now. I agree, homebrew is kind of a lazy hobby, but a fun one LOL

i have one its 9th day of fermentation. made a 1L starter with WLP013 at OG1068 and the first 3 days had a fair amount of sulfur. SG on day 5 was 1030 and no sulfur and it tastes great but still sweet. its still fermenting pretty well today with foam on top and airlock bubbs. i did not use nutrients. I hope it gets down to 1005ish

Yeah, mine was done fermenting within 7 days. Using the yeast nutrient (in this case I used Fermaid K with a Pasteur Champagne yeast) primary fermentation was done in a day, maybe 2 at the most. When I racked to my carboy for secondary, the gravity was down to 1.004 from 1.054, and it fermented a little more in secondary so I have a feeling this is going to be rather dry LOL I really hope this turns out. I want to crack it open to get another taste, but I know its best to leave it alone at this time

Mine is on day.....20 of primary fermentation haha, the power outage really slowed things down. Took a reading today and it is at 1.010 so I am going to rack to 1 gallon jugs with air locks since I only have 4 gallons in mine. Original grav was 1.071 , once it ferments out I am going to rack again onto some maple syrup and sorbate and sulfite and then bottle in wine bottles I think. This is going to be more of a wine than a cider.

Latest posts

Back