Natural Gas Burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sudz

Reaction score
I'm wanting to "improve" my standard issue turkey fryer performance and have been planning to move to a banjo burner.

However, I want this to operate on natural gas.

Looking for some feedback from those of you that have changed to NG. Specifically, advice from anyone who may have modified a banjo burner.

Appreciate the help on this.

Sudz...

Check out tejassmokers.com They say the burner tip need to be much further away from the kettle than that. I love mine. I can bring 20 gallons to a boil in 50 minutes. You have to run the correct line to the burner to get the max BTU. Love not having tanks. My burner is a 200,000BTU.

You'd be much better off with a low pressure burner that is specifically designed for natural gas.

here's what they look like: Bayou Boiler the Multi-Jet Natural Gas Burner

i would agree, you should look for a propane burner that operates off of low pressure not a 5-10-20 pound regutaor. i used a hurricane burner and my boil burner is running at 7'' wc and is orificed for 87,000 btu's

if you try to use a high pressure propane burner with natural gas it would only put out 15,000 btu's at best because homes don't have high pressure natural gas avaiable.

It's certainly cheap enough but it's not an easy burner to work with. The first thing you need to make sure of is that you have a good enough supply for over 100kbtu. If you don't, orange flames. One solution is to plug some burners to effectively reduce the input BTU requirement. The other problem with them is that the flame adjustment range is very low because of the non adjustable mix.

Don't get me wrong, when the mix is right, the flame is beautiful. I'm just not to the point where I'd trust running it in an automated fashion because I have to tweak it too much to get it to burn right.

Yeah, the tip is shaped like a duck's mouth instead of a tube. Duh. :) I haven't seen what kind of flame it throws at all. I'm waiting for someone to buy one and take a picture.

I ordered the duck mouthed natural gas burners and they're supposed to be here today. I'll let you guys know by tomorrow how they do.

I just completed modifying my new Hurricane for NG. Works really well.

I drilled out the orifice tube that is protruding from the Hurricane valve. I have very low NG pressure and kept enlarging until I found a size that seemed to do what I wanted. The drill size I used was just barely smaller than the tube OD (sorry, didn't write the #value down). But when I drilled the tube, it came out. Apparently it had been screwed in and sealed or bonded with some type of compound and drilling caused it to fall out. Anyway the resulting hole is basically the threaded hole which was placed there by the manufacturer.

I also ran a slightly larger drill through each of the holes on the manifold. Yes all of them.... I did this primarily to ensure each was open. Several were not so this appeared to be worthwhile.

Setup was easy. I played with the air valve on the burner until I got a clean flame (all blue, which was hard "not" to get) and a good idle at low throttle... :). Suggestion, don't skimp on the feed hose diameter. The low pressure on house NG needs a low restriction feed to get the BTU's out.

The only thing I did to the burner other than the above was to weld some pot supports on the top ring. I've got a 60 L SS pot and it just barely sits on the top ring which just happens to be the same diameter as the pot. Anyway, this wasn't really mandatory but my pot sits with greater stability now.

This thing cooks... I think I could heat our 3 car garage with it full on. Dead quiet also. Now, let's see, where's that next AG batch at...

I ordered the duck mouthed natural gas burners and they're supposed to be here today. I'll let you guys know by tomorrow how they do.

I hope they packed them in a bigger box. That company is bad at packing, everyone I know that ordered from them had broken jets. They are very prompt at replacements though.

holy crap! I didn't believe the $275 until I checked myself. I'm thinking of getting a gas burner. I hate buying/filling propane tanks. two of my three need to be replaced this spring so I think now is as good a time as any.

I hope they packed them in a bigger box. That company is bad at packing, everyone I know that ordered from them had broken jets. They are very prompt at replacements though.

They were sent in a rather small box. Fortunately they werent broken and work like a champ. I think 38 bucks a piece was well worth it.

I'm making the leap to all grain. i'm buying the stuff this week to put it together for my first brew this weekend. I've seen the hurricane burner in several homebrew supply catalogs. Is this the best route to go with under or around $100? Are there better NG burners for this price?
i have a NG line outside already for our grill. I also have an extra, stainless steel type grill that i'm not using. I thought I might be able to strip what i need to convert the hurricane from prop to NG. If you think the hurricane is the way to go, can you go into a little more detail as to what you did for the conversion? Maybe some pics if it's not to much trouble.
Thanks, Aaron

planning on these burners myself. what results did you get? not sure whether to get the 10 tip or the 23 tip. i plan on using one for HLT and one for kettle. thinking the 23 tip on the HLT because i can, and the 10 tip on the kettle not to scorch. i boil 13 gallons usually.

Back