Glass vs. plastic carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mullimat

Reaction score
Just ordered a kit yesterday from homebrewers.com and i can't wait for it to get here to start brewing. The kit I ordered is coming with a plastic carboy but people have been telling me that glass is better. Anyone know if there is a difference?

It is a better bottle carboy. Just read the comparison and it definitely helped. So it seems like there is no real difference as far as the better bottle and glass as far as how the beer comes out (taste). Thanks!

mullimat said:
Just ordered a kit yesterday from homebrewers.com and i can't wait for it to get here to start brewing. The kit I ordered is coming with a plastic carboy but people have been telling me that glass is better. Anyone know if there is a difference?

They are wrong plastic is better

I've been gradually switching from glass to the Better Bottles...I like to keep all my blood on the inside of my body. :D There's just been way to many horror stories on here and other places about glass, and considering the glass ones are now made in either China or Mexico...I just don't feel that comfortable with the quality of their glass...

I don't have a lot of space in my kitchen, so the way I have to wash or even just rinse my carboys make me nervous. It'd be really easy for me to bang it on the edge of the counter to lift it to the sink.

I'm really enjoying the Better Bottles I've been using, they're lighter when full. You don't have to worry about the neck snapping, so you can grab it there when it's full without worrying about losing 5 or 6 gallons of your beer.

The only thing I don't really like is the #10 (I think) stoppers I'm using with my airlocks...they just don't feel like they make a tight seal.

Has anyone used Better Bottle's proprietary vented port (or whatever they're calling it)?

Revvy said:
...The only thing I don't really like is the #10 (I think) stoppers I'm using with my airlocks...they just don't feel like they make a tight seal.

Has anyone used Better Bottle's proprietary vented port (or whatever they're calling it)?
I've not used any of their custom (and expensive!) accessories, but an orange carboy cap fits perfectly and works like a charm.

There are pro's and cons for both. I personally feel ok with lifting them when full. I don't feel great about how you can't throughly clean them with a brush. I don't trust just using oxiclean or something simular. Also glass is the only way you can use the same fermentor for regular and sour beers.

Back