Dark Mild Mild Mannered Ale (AG) (E) UK/US

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The first page shows 70C as the mash temp, that would be 158F. It is what I used and it was just fine.

Holy crap! I brewed this on Saturday (4 days ago) as my second AG. Still getting the hang of my system down, so I ended up mashing at 153, way overshot my expected efficiency, and ended with 4.9 gallons at 1.049.

Airlock stopped bubbling last night, so I checked gravity this morning: 1.013! I've never had a beer ferment this quickly. 3.5 days from brewing to FG?! I fermented at 66 or so, so I guess the Notty just worked like a beast! I just took the bucket out of the swamp cooler and swirled it around a bit to see if I could get down another point or two, but damn, looks like this one'll definitely be a quick grain to glass. I'm thinking leave it in the fermenter another 10 days or so, bottle and drink in 2-3 weeks. 4.7% ABV, so it won't be exactly to style, but I'm sure it'll be great either way.

Oh yeah, just like a previous poster, when I showed the grain bill to the guy at the LHBS, he said "wow, this looks like a super tasty sessionable beer." Might have to take one in to him to verify. :cross:

I woke up this morning, it had cooled off since last night. I wanted a mild. I just brewed yesterday while working at the shop. Decided to do it again today and do this recipe again. It's been almost a year to the day since I brewed it.

I'm scared of Nottingham now. Anyone have good luck with S04?

Well got to the shop and we were all out of the UK Chocolate. So I used regular chocolate and 2 oz of Carafa II dehusked Chocolate Malt to get the lovibond up there.

orfy,, is this ale supposed to have much mouthfeel, mine has very nice malty flavor, but seems a bit watery?
other than that this is the first brown beer i have made at home that i consider really good.
thanks for the great recipe!

By the way, rumor has it my family came from Blackpool, I reside in central New York village named Liverpool.

Just tasted my hydro sample ....just freakin awesome. I really didn't know what to expect, but it was calling my name. Orfy, I gotta tell you , this is just really great. I'm gonna brew 10g to keep on tap all the time.

I have one on right now that used the S04. It is great!!! I think you'll like it, maybe to much!!!:drunk:

I think I'm gonna use s-04 as well. Maybe I will get a faster grain to keg time frame as S-04 drops out so quickly.

Forgot to get the fuggles I need for this when I was at the lhbs yesterday and they are not open again until after I planned to have brewed this. Which would be a better sub in this recipe willamette or EKG

Forgot to get the fuggles I need for this when I was at the lhbs yesterday and they are not open again until after I planned to have brewed this. Which would be a better sub in this recipe willamette or EKG
Willamette for sure. I've made it with EKG and the floral qualities of it just didn't work for me.

Brewing this to have on tap with BM Centennial blonde for new years eve. Which brew date would provide for better better beer out of the keg on the 31st?

Two available brew dates are 11/21 or 12/12

For myself I'd say the 12th. But if you're worried about the yeast affect on your guests you might want to go with the earlier date to give it more time to settle out. :D

Mine's been in the primary for 2 weeks and just kegged her Tuesday. So you're saying I need to take off tomorrow to get fully use of its flavor?:rockin:

I made this a few weeks ago, overshot my efficiency, and ended up with an OG of 1.049. It got down to 1.013 in 3.5 days; I let it sit for 2 weeks and bottled it the other night (aiming to carb at 2.0).

Since mine ended up as a 4.7% ABV beer, it seems like more time than 1 week in the bottle would benefit it, no? I was going to let it sit for 3 weeks, but given these last few posts, maybe I should break it out earlier than that? Wouldn't want to drink it way past its prime, now...

I'll be brewing up a new batch of this within the next few weeks. I'm going to be using a blend of brown and pale chocolate malt instead of the dark chocolate malt this time. Will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Got it entered in Brewmasterswarehouse. $27 shipped Not bad at all. Is the consensus that olllllo's rough conversion to US units is a safe recipe?

Just converted it with brewsmith for you.

Mild Mannered Ale - US imperial

Brew Type: All Grain
Date: 26/10/2007Style: Mild
Brewer:
OrfyBatch Size: 5.00 gal
Assistant Brewer: the dogs
Boil Volume:
6.80 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.0 %
Brewing Steps
-- Clean and prepare equipment.
-- Measure ingredients, crush grains.
-- Prepare 8.44 gal water for brewing
-- Prepare Ingredients for Mash
5 lbs 7.0 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain
1 lbs 5.8 oz Crystal Malt - 60L (Thomas Fawcett) (60.0 SRM) Grain
4.4 oz Chocolate Malt (Thomas Fawcett) (508.0 SRM) Grain
Mash Ingredients
Step: Add 8.85 qt of water at 178.3 F
60 min - Hold mash at 158.0 F for 60 min

-- Drain Mash Tun
-- Batch Sparge Round 1: Sparge with 3.11 gal of 170.6 F water.
-- Batch Sparge Round 2: Sparge with 3.11 gal of 170.6 F water.
-- Add water to achieve boil volume of 6.80 gal
-- Estimated Pre-boil Gravity is: 1.025 SG with all grains/extracts added

Boil for 60 min Start to Boil.
15 min into boil Add 0.87 oz Fuggles [4.50%] (45 min)
45 min into boil Add 0.87 oz Fuggles [4.50%] (15 min)
-- Cool wort to fermentation temperature
-- Add water (as needed) to achieve volume of 5.00 gal
-- Siphon wort to primary fermenter and aerate wort.

-- Add Ingredients to Fermenter
Amount Item Type 1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

26/10/2007 Measure Original Gravity: ________ (Estimate: 1.034 SG)
26/10/2007 Measure Batch Volume: ________ (Estimate: 5.00 gal)
4 days Ferment in primary for 4 days at 68.0 F
30/10/2007 Transfer to Secondary Fermenter
7 days Ferment in secondary for 7 days at 68.0 F
06/11/2007 Measure Final Gravity: ________ (Estimate: 1.008 SG)
-- Bottle beer at 60.1 F with 1.9 oz of dried malt extract.
1.0 Weeks Age for 1.0 Weeks at 59.0 F
13/11/2007 Sample and enjoy!

Thanks Orfy. Looks like Ollllo's probably spot on them for the 6G batch. I'll be brewing this DEc.12th to be prime condition for my new Years Party.

Fine if I use East Golding instead of Fuggles right? Do you see this changing the style at all??

Well I'm drinking this now. About three weeks in the bottle. Not dark like it should be, but a nice brown. When I tried this at bottling I thought it was a bit watered down, but the bottle I had last night was fantastic.

Swmbo just said this is the best beer I've ever made, coming from someone who put a lime in every beer!

Nice JesseRC. I'm looking forward to this. I've only ever had the 10 day Challenge Mild. This one seems pretty famous. Plus my brewing has improved since that brew day I'd like to think.

Back