score for me! (and maybe you too!)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chainsawbrewing

Reaction score
my buddy owns a business here in indiana called unlimited oxygen. they make these machines that basically produce oxygen and keep it at a steady flow for use in lots of different applications. hospitals, sick people, and actually most recently his machines are used a ton in glass blowing.

anyways, he's got a "junkyard" of sorts in his shop of all these stainless steel oxygen tanks that he's collected throughout the years that either are old, outdated, can't get parts for, donated, etc. they're all mostly 40 liters, have handles built in to them, and you cut the top/lid off of them, and there is a second tank inside of the exterior tank (i guess it's done this way for a sort of insulation to keep oxygen at a certain temperature) so long story short (too late) i'm getting three of these bad boys for brewing purposes. i'll post pics when we get them all done, but he's got a TON of them, and they're just taking up space, so i'm sure he'd be willing to let them go for cheaper than what we pay for stainless steel kettles.

i was like a kid in a candy store there, lol. he's just got this huge warehouse full of stuff that i can use for brewing equipment, and all the tools and such needed.

woo hoo!
brian

well it took forever, but here's what one of these looks like after i chopped the to off of one of them. the one with water in it, is 10 gallons of water, so i could see how much boil space i would have.

sspotfullbq2.jpg

if anybody thinks they could use one, or want one, let me know what you think they're worth to you, and i can get my hands on around 50 of them.

they're medical grade stainless steel.

brian

If you get a chance, I'd love to see the a few more pics...

One whole unit & One uncut but removed from its outter housing - Not sure if this is possible or if you have to cut through both at the same time.

No biggie if you can't.

How rigid are they?

Where is the 2nd tank that was inside of it, what did it look like? Do you have any pictures before you chopped the top off?

E

It looks to be pretty thin SS to me, but it could be the angle of the pic as well.

i have two still at the house that i haven't "chopped" up yet, i'll take a pic of one of them later on, and post it.

then, when i get around to chopping the top of one of them, i'll post a picture of what's on the inside of it.

they are all sort of different tanks, like different brands, sizes, etc. so "your results may vary", but i will say, the inside piece of the one in the picture, wouldn't be usable by us for anything IMO.

it's surrounded by a crap ton of insulation stuff (between the inner and outer pieces), it's much smaller, and also, isn't flat bottomed, it's concaved, similar to an oxygen tank at the bottom, in other words, it wouldn't stand up by itself.

as far as the thickness/guage of the steel, i really don't know. all i can say is it's sturdier than my 7.5 gallon SS brew pot that i bought from austinhomebrewery.

i plan on cutting the tops off of two more, and using one for my HLT, one fore my MLT, and one for the kettle.

What do you think they are worth? Have you had any feedback on what people think they are worth? I am down in North/Central KY so shipping shouldn't be to bad.

That looks to me like a cryo tank, shoulda been liquid oxygen inside the inner tank.

Can your bud confirm that?

Stainless is stainless I reckon, though I know 304 not equal to 316. I wonder how thick the bottom panel of the outer tank is?

i honestly have no idea. he'd like to get at least what it's worth to a scrapyard, because if he can scrap them for $50, he doesn't want to sell these for $35, get it? he's not looking to make money either though, so if somebody want's them uncut, and they can cut them themselves, take them apart themselves, i'd sell them for whatver they're worth in scrap. if somebody neeeds them cut up, i'd add the price of the time/blades to cut them. him, nor i are making any money in the deal period, it's just that they're no longer useful to my buddy, because of what i said in the original post, and i saw the opportunity to help out fellow brewers. they all are still his, they belong to him, and they're just taking up space untill he either sells them to a scrapyard, or sells them to us.

brian

it would be helpful if you could get a micrometer and measure the thickness of the metal. also what is the diameter and height? It occurs to me that if large enough in diameter it could make a nice outer wall for an insulated sanke keg mash tun. Would need to be about 19 inches in diameter for that.

I don't know if this will work. Its my first attempt posting from my blackberry. I talked to my buddy and he said hed sell them for 50 bux a piece uncut plus shipping or yoi can pick them up in indianapolis. They're heavy so shipping might be a lot.

billtzk said:
it would be helpful if you could get a micrometer and measure the thickness of the metal. also what is the diameter and height? It occurs to me that if large enough in diameter it could make a nice outer wall for an insulated sanke keg mash tun. Would need to be about 19 inches in diameter for that.

It sounds like there is an assortment, but a "typical" cryo O2 tank, at least at UCLA hospital in late 2007, is 18-22 inches in diameter and between 3-4 feet tall.

A chucnk of that total height is black plastic that won't help you.

@OP: How much for a SS "tub" cut from one of those, minimum 18" diameter and minimum 24" tall, shipped slow to 27516?

Same thing I'm thinkin, Poindexter. :D I've been lookin' for a kettle, and S/S just makes it even finer. :D I'm interested, name your fee.

at 18x24 inches - click whirr- pi*9^2, 254 square inch bottom at the low end of the scale.

One gallon of water at STP is 128 fluid ounces, click, chunk, whirr, zip, ricochet noise - google- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallon

231 cubic inches, same as the 1988 3.8 liter V6 turbo Buick. So one gallon per inch depth. rocking bananana.

How much? how much?

Ooh! You had to pull out the GM 231ci! Mine was in an '86 Olds 98. Try buying parts for that beast. "Yeah, I need parts for an '86 98, can you help me?" "Yeah, a '98 Oldsmobile, you said what, an Alero?" "AAAAAAGH!"

I miss that beast though. Floated like a dream, had plenty of punch, power everything, good stereo..... :D

:off:, sorry

WOW,

Ok how much for one? Seriously, im really interested in replacing my cruddy aluminum brew-pot that's started to blacken, and this looks like a method i might actually be able to AFFORD! Assuming shipping to CA, 92407 isnt too horrendous.

Yea, im poor, but ill try! PM me!

I'm over in Terre Haute. How much for one that you've already cut? I'll come pick it up and stop by Kahns!!!!

xumbi said:
Just wondering why nothing came of this, it looked like a good deal!

a strong combination of lack of interest, my laziness, and work getting in the way.

i still am able to get these, i know i'm not going to have the time to cut any myself though, so if anybody wants any of them uncut, and wants to pick them up from indianapolis,in or can pay the shipping, just sent me a pm

brian

thread back from the dead.:cross:

my buddy went ahead and scrapped most of these awhile back, i bought a few off of him, used one for a brew kettle, sold a couple to some locals, and kept a couple back for maybe making a three tier system for my mt, hlt, and brewkettle. well, long story short,

i have two of these left, uncut, they make great 10gallon stainless steel brew kettles. if anybody wants one or both, i'll sell them for $50 a piece, or if somebody wants both, i'll do both of them for $80

i'm about to be moving, and swmbo is bitching about the space they're taking up, lol.

i'm in indianapolis,indiana

sorry, not really interested in shipping them, and they weigh a ton, and would probably be expensive as hell to ship anyways.

pm me.

Back