No experience or equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAR065

Reaction score
Hi im brand new to home brewing, a family friend does it and id love to get into it. I am a poor college student and curious as to what I need and more importantly a good place to get it.

Also and hints or tips are gladly appreciated, thanks you
i look forward to becoming part of the community!

Welcome to the forum. I should point out that is more of an addiction than a hobby :) Prepare to get poorer.

Seriously though, the best advice I can give at the moment is to find a good book on brewing and give that a read. You're in college, you should be good at that. I cut my teeth on John Palmers "How to Brew." He has a free online version and a hard copy that you can buy. There are others out there as well though. Once you understand a little more about what is involved, you can decide what kind of set up would best suit your current situation. There are a lot of differnt ways to brew as far as equipment goes. Where you live, how much space you have and your budget will be the biggest deciding factors. Once you figure out a rough game plan, come back and we'll help you with the build.

Cheers

Find your local home brew store. They sell kits for getting started. I think the one I first started with cost about $100. It came with everything needed to do extract brewing, except a boil kettle and ingredients. As for a kettle dont get anything less than 3gal but if you can get a 7gallon pot you will be able to do a full boil.

Spend some time reading here, so far I have been able to find every answer I have needed here somewhere :)

A book I would recommend by Charlie Papazian : The Complete Joy of Homebrewing. You should be able to find that at your LHBS as well. It's a great read.... I coulndn't put it down!

Welcome to the forum. I should point out that is more of an addiction than a hobby :) Prepare to get poorer.

Seriously though, the best advice I can give at the moment is to find a good book on brewing and give that a read. You're in college, you should be good at that. I cut my teeth on John Palmers "How to Brew." He has a free online version and a hard copy that you can buy. There are others out there as well though. Once you understand a little more about what is involved, you can decide what kind of set up would best suit your current situation. There are a lot of differnt ways to brew as far as equipment goes. Where you live, how much space you have and your budget will be the biggest deciding factors. Once you figure out a rough game plan, come back and we'll help you with the build.

Cheers

book smart and street smart!
first thing you need is a propane burner and a cook pot
hydrometer and cleaning /sanatizing agents
start with kits you can buy close to you
and experiment and at the same time read books!
dont read when you are at 212 deg boilovers smell like burnt sugar!
happy brewing!
see ya! Andy

See if you can do a brew day with your friend if you haven’t already, just to make sure you are gunna like it… cause it will nickel and dime you… but it’s a great hobby. If you are resourceful you can do a lot on the cheap. If you get hooked and you may already know you are… think about going directly with all grain. I spent a few hundred bucks getting my extract brewery worked out then spent more going to all grain only to realize it was not all that intimidating after all.

Tons of info on this site, so spend time pouring over it. Northern Brewer has some good videos and their Brewer TV has a lot to offer. http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewingtv/

I started with a Coopers DIY kit for about a $100. Makes an OK brew and is a cheap way to start.

Latest posts

Back