Munich Light vs Munich 10L

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

remthewanderer

Reaction score
I see some recipes that refer to "Munich Light" malt and others that refer to "Munich 10L". I just want to make sure that these are two names for the same thing.

I'm fairly certain that they are since Munich Light has a Lovibond rating of 10 which is what the 10L refers to in the name Munich 10L.

Can one of the wise elders of this board educate a new all grain brewer? :D

Its the same stuff. Different manufacturers give it different names.

They probably threw the "light" after the Munich to distinguish it from Munich Dark, which I stumbled across at my LHBS recently. It's not that common. Mostly when you hear Munich it is the lighter stuff.

I asked here about the Munich Dark but did not get much of a response. So I brewed with it, and it turned out to be Munich....but darker. Mystery solved.

Just make sure it's from Germany - Best Matz or Weyermann. I've heard Briess' Munich 10L is more of a crystal.

I see some recipes that refer to "Munich Light" malt and others that refer to "Munich 10L". I just want to make sure that these are two names for the same thing.

I'm fairly certain that they are since Munich Light has a Lovibond rating of 10 which is what the 10L refers to in the name Munich 10L.

Can one of the wise elders of this board educate a new all grain brewer? :D

Understand that "light" domestic Munich is about the same color as dark German Munich. It's very important IMO as to what the recipe and use for the malt is. Domestic Munich is often made from six-row barley and is more of a specialty malt. German Munich is a true base malt.

At the two stores I go to, Munich light is 10L, Munich dark is 30L.

German and Belgian (French, too?) light munich is usually around 6L. Unless the recipe specifies a particular malt, I'd assume European munich standards.

Back