Need advice on how to remove Oxyclean residue on bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Tried to multitask two days ago by boil conditioning my new aluminum kettle and clean some bottles at the same time. I had a bucket of bottles that had been soaking in an oxyclean/water bath that I added to the the water in my aluminum boil kettle. I thought that boiling for an hour would help clean the bottles as well as condition the kettle but now I have a white film on the bottles that rinsing just won't remove.

I have tried soaking the bottles in a clean water solution with some regular vinegar added and then I used my bottle washer to try to clean the inside and wipe the outside surface clean but the film just keeps coming back.

Any ideas?

PS: the reason I tried putting the bottles in the boiling water of the aluminum kettle was to try to use less water. It is a 20 gallon kettle. now the inside surface of the kettle has turned black/gray in spots. Not sure what this might mean.

0810011618.jpg

0810011637.jpg

I tried a mild solution of vinegar with no luck so I will try starsan next to see what happens. It is hard to say if the film feels really chalky or not since it is so thin. When I wipe it away it seems to reapear quickly.

Would an overnight soak be too long or OK?

Thanks for the reply.

Starsan works for me. After using oxyclean, I spray all of my bottles with starsan inside and out, then rinse. Right before bottling, I spray again with starsan and put a starsan soaked top on it.

I've never had to let anything soak in starsan to get the residue off. It comes off immediately if you rinse it before it dries. Same goes with your hands. If you dip your hands in oxyclean and can't get that residue off. A spray of starsan and it goes away instantly. I couldn't live without a spray bottle of starsan.

Well, I guess I don't have to tell you, but I just can't help it: That was DUMB! ;)

a "mild" solution of vinegar aint gonna cut it... you need to just use vinegar. It'll melt that oxiclean right outta there in no time.

As for the kettle, that is just plain old aluminum oxidation. The solution is soapy water and a kitchen scrubby... Your arm is gonna hurt real bad by the time you clean that mess up... Hopefully, the next time you decide to cook oxyclean, your arm will smack you for thinking about it ;)

Oh, and BTW, the kettle will not be shiny again until you brew and the acidic nature of the wort etches it clean... mmmm aluminum oxide ale... JK, it's not enough to cause a problem.

Well, I guess I don't have to tell you, but I just can't help it: That was DUMB! ;)

a "mild" solution of vinegar aint gonna cut it... you need to just use vinegar. It'll melt that oxiclean right outta there in no time.

As for the kettle, that is just plain old aluminum oxidation. The solution is soapy water and a kitchen scrubby... Your arm is gonna hurt real bad by the time you clean that mess up... Hopefully, the next time you decide to cook oxyclean, your arm will smack you for thinking about it ;)

Oh, and BTW, the kettle will not be shiny again until you brew and the acidic nature of the wort etches it clean... mmmm aluminum oxide ale... JK, it's not enough to cause a problem.

Yeah...I agree that it was dumb. I asked some members of the forum on another thread as to the best way to condition a new pot. Some said to do a full boil with maximum volume possible. Some suggested a a 2 to 3 day soak with oxyclean. One fellow mentioned doing a mild oxyclean boil.

Looks like I have some wax on wax off activity to do tomorrow.

I have been using an oxyclean soak to remove labels from bottles. However, the last time I did the water was too hot, I used too much oxyclean, and/or too long (16 hours), or some combination thel three, and the bottles had that same chalky coating, inside and out. I dropped them into my star-san bucket and within 20 minutes they were clean. Didn't do much good for the star-san though, clouded right up.

I have been using an oxyclean soak to remove labels from bottles. However, the last time I did the water was too hot, I used too much oxyclean, and/or too long (16 hours), or some combination thel three, and the bottles had that same chalky coating, inside and out. I dropped them into my star-san bucket and within 20 minutes they were clean. Didn't do much good for the star-san though, clouded right up.

Good to know. The bottles have been soaking in starsan for about an hour now. I might not be able to get them onto the drying racks until tomorrow because of fatherly duties with our 15 month old son. Any chance there is a problem with soaking too long in the starsan?

No problem soaking too long in starsan, but the oxyclean residue is alkaline and will raise the ph of the starsan. I couldn't tell you whether it would raise it enough to make it ineffective as a sanitizer. That's why I just spray it on. It only takes enough to get the bottle wet to remove the residue.

IMO that is normal oxidation on an aluminum pot. If you take it off now it will return and you will be in a never ending cycle until there is no aluminum left. Just use a scrubby to make sure there is nothing that will flake off. Maybe some StarSan. For the bottles I don't know if the boiling made the oxyclean stick more, Mine (not boiled) will rinse off with hot water.

No problem soaking too long in starsan, but the oxyclean residue is alkaline and will raise the ph of the starsan. I couldn't tell you whether it would raise it enough to make it ineffective as a sanitizer. That's why I just spray it on. It only takes enough to get the bottle wet to remove the residue.

I won't be using these bottles for several week so I was planning on re-sanitizing them on bottling day. I usually keg most of my beer but a friend is getting married in October and I am helping to provide some beer for the wedding reception. I have to use bottles because the reception place won't allow kegs to be used.

I hear this has to do with hard water and oxicleaan. Pbw supposedly had softener in it which will prevent this. Only happens to me if I soak more then 24 hours. Good. Luck.

The starsan soak has removed the oxyclean/hardwater film from the bottles. I have yet to try to scrub the insdie of the kettle to try to remove some of the black coating.

thanks everyone for your replies.

I think all aluminum pots get that black coating. It's the oxidation layer and you want it on there. If you remove it, it will simply return.

The white film in the kettle is likely from the alkalinity of the water. You'll want to try and wash with oxi and some distilled water. This will possibly remove the white stuff and keep the aluminum coated with oxidation?

Back