Any brewers in the Bristow/Manassas Va area?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We can establish a local either formal or informal club. There is BURP which has members from MD/VA/DC and has rotating meeting locations once a month with lots of food and home brew, which I belong to. Only real drawback is getting home after having a few. There is a smaller club out of Herndon area called the Warthogs. Both are formal and have officers and dues. But that is down the road a bit.

Someone needs to organize an initial get together to gauge the real interest. Again, Wedneday evening at Cock and Bowl, Occoquan.

Oh I concur that Derek is busy; and I when I spoke with him on Friday and Saturday I didn't intend for him to do any organization of a club.

What I really wanted was just a buy-in from him on the concept of having a club that he could get behind. Either in recommending it to clients, using the parking lot for events (like this year's AHA Big Brew), etc.

When we talked I mentioned I'd drop back by in a month or so to discuss it further.

Derek seems excited about the possibilities -- I'd be surprised if he wasn't interested in the concept! Just trying to put it out there that you guys could make some headway on the legwork/continue to get buy-in/gauge interest now.

Someone needs to organize an initial get together to gauge the real interest.

Basically, this.

PM me your email address if you want to attend an informal meeting. I will find a venue and sent out an invitation of some sort as well as post here. Even if it to just lay down some ground work.

Well my grain bill for my Rye IPA isn't in yet so that's not happening. I'll still be brewing but at this point I'm trying to decide between my DFH 60 clone recipe or trying the Oberon Clone (decoction recipe here).

I really want more of the DFH 60 on tap but am really hesitant to use so much Simcoe/Amarillo as my stock is at about 1/3 lb. and that stuff is gone for the year.

If anyone wants to brew Saturday in Manassas let me know :)

:D
If anyone wants to brew Saturday in Manassas let me know :)

Damn it...wish I had seen this. I am interested in getting as much "brew experience" as possible. I went in and chatted with Derek this week, bought all my brew equipment and can't wait to get started. Only been a part of brews through different friends and now I'm getting into it.

I just threw this stir-plate together with some stuff I had and some Radioshack parts. I want to use a yeast starter right off the bat to make sure I'm getting good fermentation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn it...wish I had seen this. I am interested in getting as much "brew experience" as possible. I went in and chatted with Derek this week, bought all my brew equipment and can't wait to get started. Only been a part of brews through different friends and now I'm getting into it.

Man... I never actually got around to doing it either. After all my running around Saturday, including a trip into Jay's to get some specialty grains, I realized I was 1# short on white wheat. I was dragging my 3 kids with me and didn't feel like repeating the experience.

I was thinking of doing it one evening this week.

Welcome! Nice work on the stir plate.

Man... I never actually got around to doing it either. After all my running around Saturday, including a trip into Jay's to get some specialty grains, I realized I was 1# short on white wheat. I was dragging my 3 kids with me and didn't feel like repeating the experience.

I was thinking of doing it one evening this week.

Same thing here. Except for Tuesday it looks like we'll have great brewing weather this week. It's hell getting caught up when your pipeline goes dry.

I'm looking to probably get a yeast starter going on Thursday in order to brew on Saturday sometime. My first batch at home!

If your interested in a Manassas/Bristow homebrew club, PM me your email address. I am pretty close to getting things together but it would certainly help with more interested participants. 100th post. Rock on!

I'm looking to probably get a yeast starter going on Thursday in order to brew on Saturday sometime. My first batch at home!

I was in Jay's for about 30-40 minutes on Saturday and saw someone picking up a really nice brewing starter kit. You said you got yours there Sat? Was that by chance you?

I'm thinking of doing my Oberon this evening. I need to start by 4:30 to be done in enough time to clean up for the evening.

I'm also going to brew on Saturday, Probably some form of a Citra or Simcoe IPA.

Yep! That was probably me. I had been pricing out and listing what I wanted from Northern Brewer, but after Derek opened up about a mile from my house I figured I would support the local place. I was actually pleasantly surprised by the total price of everything I snagged.

Simcoe IPA sounds great!

Sheldon said:
we need to do a tasting when those two are ready for consumption.

Well the boil is about done on the Oberon clone. If we can get an initial meeting going here in Manassas I have three batches in the pipeline that are almost drinkable

I am ready to brew 3 batches as I have no beer! Ill be glad to some and drink yours, Sheldon I might need a ride...

Hi all. I live in the Ashland community off 234 near Montclair. I have brewed a few extracts and am in the process of building an all grain electric setup in my basement. I plan to have a single tier 3 keggle 2 pump system. I just finished my boil keggle and got the electric run. Did a test boil tonight and all ran well. Going for my first biab this weekend. Anyone have a favorite recipe they could suggest?

I like the idea of a local group get together. I plan on attending the BURP meeting this Saturday. I hope to meet some of you guys there.

By the way, were did Jay move his shop to?

Ben

Jay's brewing is now in Manassas. Near downtown Manassas City, just south on Rt 28 (Center Street) across from the Southern States.

I'm definitely brewing an IPA on Saturday morning. While the recipe has yet to be decided it will probably be a DFH 60 clone or similar. I just landed a really nice order of Simcoe and Amarillo and want to use them while they're fresh.

AJS; if you're interested I'm always down for some company while brewing. I noticed you had expressed an interest.

I found Jay's. Nice place. The owner was very helpful. I found a blue moon clone and he helped me with some substitutes. I am going to try my biab setup tonight. I put a bug in his ear about the group.

Ben

Hello all. Just thought I would poke my head in and say hi. Just registered today but have been wanting to get into homebrew for some time but didn't really have the space/time needed. I have zero experience besides reading here, on other forums and watching Youtube videos but you have to start somewhere. :) I'm looking to get started and it looks like I have a ton of stuff I need to pick up, but I can't wait.

Welcome Matt...I'm new to the hobby, just got my first "solo" batch done last night. Definitely learned some tricks the first time around. I had only ever watched and participated with friends before...much different when doing it alone.

I'd definitely suggest going and talking with Derek and checking equipment out in person. If we want a good homebrew shop in the local area we should all try our hardest to support the local place and pump money in there :)

Not even 24 hours after racking my brew into the primary there are lots of healthy bubbles going on in there and a nice thick foam on top. Hoping to see lots of activity in the airlock tomorrow!

IMG_0475.jpg

awesome man!! That just looks yummy! Did you start with an extract brew?

Still planning on doing the DFH 60 clone on Saturday.

Here is my Oberon clone from early this week still going strong. The second pic has the all centennial IPA on the left which is two weeks in and a hop slam clone on the right that's on about day 10 of the dry hop. I need to keg that soon.

image-3635658124.jpg

image-4053232825.jpg

btw, does anyone have any Sorachi Ace hops in their fridge? Was really thinking of trying out a recipe next week but haven't seen any local and didn't want to make an order just to get 2 oz.

I can trade Amarillo (leaf), Citra (leaf), Centennial (leaf), or Warrior (pellet) if you've got some.

awesome man!! That just looks yummy! Did you start with an extract brew?

Still planning on doing the DFH 60 clone on Saturday.

Yeah, I'll have to post the recipe or something, but it was a fairly simple extract and I will be dry hopping with falconers flight hops in secondary.

Ill be brewing an all grain ESB in Woodbridge on Saturday. If anyone is interested in joining then just let me know.

I have 2 oz of sorachi, will donate for a six pack of your brew when done. PM me if interested, i will be doing a bunch of yard work today.

Welcome Matt...I'm new to the hobby, just got my first "solo" batch done last night. Definitely learned some tricks the first time around. I had only ever watched and participated with friends before...much different when doing it alone.

I'd definitely suggest going and talking with Derek and checking equipment out in person. If we want a good homebrew shop in the local area we should all try our hardest to support the local place and pump money in there :)

Thanks! There was a Groupon (http://www.groupon.com/deals/midwest-hydroponic-and-homebrewing-supplies-llc-dc?c=all&p=18) that I was going to pick up to get me started, but I am all about supporting brick and mortar places. I would have pulled the trigger on ordering a starter kit yesterday until I saw Jay's was in Manassas and only five miles from my house. I'm gonna try to swing by Sunday (if they are open?).

If anyone local wants some used polysulfone quick disconnects drop me a PM. Just replaced mine with cam locks. All I ask is a sample of something hoppy :p

image-1984932707.jpg

Went to the Burp meeting yesterday. Sat thru the lager talk and learned a lot. Great group of people. I'll be making this a monthly event. Who here was there. I tried to spot people but couldn't put usernames with faces.

I am a regular attendee, at least for the most part. Missed the last 2 due to life getting in the way. Its like a brewfest and picnic rolled into a great day.

Awesome man, bet you can't wait to get started brewing now!

Btw Scott, hope that hopslam clone turns out good...love some hop slam. Did you post the recipe to that somewhere?

Awesome man, bet you can't wait to get started brewing now!

Btw Scott, hope that hopslam clone turns out good...love some hop slam. Did you post the recipe to that somewhere?

I'm pretty sure it was the recipe thread from here at HBT. I had a really bad brew day when I did that. Ended up having a hop bag break up and whole leaf got everywhere gumming up my plate chiller and generally causing havok.

During the whole mess I must have thrown out the 2oz of Chinook I was keeping for dry hopping so ended up using Centennial instead. We'll see how it turns out. it's been on the gas for 24 hours now. Hopefully in about 7-10 days I'll be pleasantly suprised :p

I did managed to make it to home depot today during lunch and got just what I needed to throw together a Hop Spider this week. Not gonna let those whole leaf hop packs get me down! :p

I'm interested in making one of those hop spiders as well. I did use a nylon bag with his last IPA I brewed so hopefully that will help it be nice and clear...don't want to worry about sediment.

I'm in the VL bristow area...just saw this thread...awesome

I'll be brewing a Belgian trippel, worts heff and potentially my first sour in two weeks...in what will be a brewing trifecta weekend while the wife and kid is away.

In for the group...

Welcome bro! PM me or check the VL fb page for the upcoming meeting! I'm in VL and may be brewing this weekend also. Hit me up!

Just the neighborhood. We will set up a group after the first club meeting. Tentatively scheduled for the 11th.

I'm interested in making one of those hop spiders as well. I did use a nylon bag with his last IPA I brewed so hopefully that will help it be nice and clear...don't want to worry about sediment.

I picked up a stainless steel sink garbage disposal drain and a 36" stainless rod from HD today. Tomorrow I'll try and weld the rod onto the drain. It's really thin so I'm worried I'll burn through the drain, but it's worth a try.

I'll post a pic if it works.

For Pellets I just let them go wild in the boil kettle. I usually whirlpool and have a side pickup tube so the trub is usually out of the way.

It's the Simco and Citra that I have in whole leaf (because that's all I could find) that I've been having trouble with lately. Hoping this spider takes care of that.

Back