Cider recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hatesfury

Reaction score
Trying to put together a quick batch of cider (not looking to get super technical, im a fledgling). Grabbed a 1 gallon glass jug, stopper, and airlock from the LHBS and have it sitting in sanitizer right now. Got 1\2G of pasturized organic cider. I saw a recipe back that was 1\2 cider 1\2 water, with some sugar, some i'm looking for input on how much sugar for my batch (1 gallon total, 1\2g cider 1\2g water). I'd like to finish with an ABV of 5-8%.

You should just get another half gallon of cider. Cider naturally ferments to around 5 or 6%. Adding water and sugar can keep the abv at this level, but will take away that good cider flavor. So I would just use 1 gallon of cider, and if you want to boost the abv, you can add a half pound or so of dextrose, or just cane sugar. That should boost it up to around 8%, if not a little higher.

Thanks mwc... i did consider that, but at the time i'd bought 1\2 a gallon from the organic store ($5.00 yikes) and was commited to it... I'll shop around for cheaper cider next time. This batch is an experiment in 100 different ways, so we'll see how it turns out.

I wouldn't water it down, it won't come out nice at all. Google for a local orchard, or not so local and make a day of going to get some good apple juice :)

I know it's summer in the upside down part of the world... but apples don't grow in February around here :) (i tease my buddies from AU all the time, hope you understand ;)). I would love to use local apples, but for now i'm stuck buying cider for too much. Think i'll try one of the AJ recipes from here next time to save $.

Hatesfury I am a couple of towns over from you and looking for a LHBS. Can you be specific on where you get your products. If you would rather not post you can PM me. Thanks

Latest posts

Back