How long do I have to use a smackpack once inflated?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sportscrazed2

Reaction score
I plan on brewing tommorow morning and want to smack my smack pack tonight to make sure yeast is viable before going through all the hassle of making wort. should i put it back in the fridge after it's done inflating? should i just wake up early smack it and go back to bed?

Smack it now. I usually smack them 2 days before. I let it sit out overnight then back into the fridge until the morning of brewday.

so if i smack it now then go to work and come home tonight it won't suffer any harm by putting it back in the fridge until morning?

Technically it doesn't matter what you do with it, whether or not it inflates, or if you even smack the pack at all...especially if you make a starter, which you should do for any beer with an og over 1.020 according to Mr Malty.

From the horse's mouth.

From the Wyeast FAQ website:

3. Does the package need to be fully swollen before pitching?

No, The package can be pitched before activating, or at anytime during the activation process. The activation process "jump starts" the culture's metabolism, minimizing the lag phase.

allright just took it out of fridge and am going to smack it in half hour or so after it warms up a little bit. so it really won't harm it either way if i leave it out overnight or put it back in fridge?

allright thanks i will leave it sitting at room temperature until ready to brew. just smacked it how long to notice visible inflation?

my pacman was really bulging after about 3 hours....room temp...(21C)....but I'd say it was noticeable after an hour.

smacked it before work and it's inflated now. it won't harm anything leaving it out of the fridge over night will it?

allright allright i was just worried the yeast would go bad at room temp but then again that is stupid because it's going to be fermenting at room temperature

Yea, just do not put the in the cabinet above the stove or fridge. Find a cool, not cold, place and they will be fine.

Back