Best way to airlock a 1 gallon glass bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cdbrew

Reaction score
I'm going to try my first meads by using some 1 gallon cheap wine jugs. I plan on trying maybe 3 different types. Any ideas on setting up airlocks for them for fermentation?

I have some airlocks from brewing beer but wondering how you guys would affix them on the bottles. Also if you use any cool homemade airlocks that's fine too...I think I only have 2 anyway so I may need to rig a third.

I know my grandpa always just used a balloon - and when the balloon deflated back to normal the wine was done :)

thanks

Just need a different size cork to fit the gallon jugs. Should be able to buy one at any brew supply store.

Just need a different size cork to fit the gallon jugs. Should be able to buy one at any brew supply store.

+1, you should be able to find a stopper to fit just about any container at a decent LHBS. If I was at home, I could tell you exactly what size fits in a Carlo Rossi style wine jug...used to do 1 gallon batches, but then I realized it was the same amount of work to do 6 gallons.....

hmmm yeh looks like #6's. I'll probably just order a handful along with some nutrients. thanks.

If you look around, you'll see that people have used children's balloons with a single pinhole in them and also condoms treated likewise.......

So it's up to you how you want to go about doing that......

Back