Using a coffee bean grinder for Specialty Grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schwec79j

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to this forum. I have a northern brewer irish stout kit. It has a bag of roasted barley. It needs to be crushed. I dont have a grain mill but I have a coffee bean grinder. Would that be ok?

With the small amount, just put them in a ziplock bag and go over with a rolling pin. The grinder will chop them up way too much.you just want to crack them.

If you do try the rolling pin technique, don't mix the grains you are crushing. Dark roasted grains will crush faster and easier than the lighter grains. I did this for a porter and all my black patent was pulverized but my crystal stayed whole; the beer was an astringent mess.

I found the rolling pin technique to be a PITA, so I bought a corona mill. I love it.

or if you want to avoid the hassle of a rolling pin all together, drive on down to your nearest LHBS and use their mill, no worries at all.

I use a mortar and pestle for small amounts of grains. I like using this instead of a coffee grinder since the grains get cracked, but the husk stays intact. I found that the coffee grinder just chopped everything up.

Back