Just entered Pliny clone into Beersmith...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are a couple of current pliny threads, a bunch of us are making this shortly if not now. I think the consensus is that only 100 IBU's can be measured so anything over that is just not measurable and not to worry about Beersmith's analysis :)... 17 oz of hops, I know over the top and like what 7 oz of that are dry hopped... gonna be some serious hop swellage...
Let us know how it turns out for you... Mine just finally shipped yesterday.

Yep. I only use pellets to dry hop with, cold crash and no sign of them anywhere but in the trub.

Sweet - I never secondary and was thinking I was going to have to with this brew just because of the sheer mass of hops but maybe not... so you're going to throw 7+oz of hops into the primary and just follow the dry hop schedule all in the primary? If it works I'm all over that... I have some large dry hop cloth bags I guess I could just throw them in. I have one of this wide 7.9 gal plastic fermenters that I think would be best for this batch. When are you brewin?

Won't brew this for a while, still working on sourcing the hops. I like to use some, if not all whole hops for the kettle, makes my life easier when I siphon. I use a stainless scrubby over the diptube on my kettle, and a large pellet hop charge will eventually clog it. I'll probably use about four-five ounces whole and the rest pellet in the boil. All pellet in the dry hop. I use a nylon mesh hop bag, sanitized and zip-tied around the end of the hose in the bottling bucket to catch any straggling dry hop pieces. Used the mesh on the siphon end once, with whole hops, bad idea.

That being said, I'm not counting on getting the whole yield out of this. My recipe calls for 12.5 ounces of hops, I expect to only recover about 4 gallons. It's a mess of hops, and I'm not one for squeezing and straining every last drop out of the trub.

Back