Thinking of making a wine...first time.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ace_Club

Reaction score
Long-time brewer and short-term mead maker, currently looking at trying my hand at a red wine. Question is this: I see that most kits are fairly large and are usually fermented in a bucket to begin with. I prefer to ferment in glass and was wondering if there is any reason why I can't just use a 6.5 gallon carboy for the primary and the 5 gallon carboy for secondary. Any thoughts, prior experience?

Kits are 6 gallons and you wont have enough headroom as reds usually ferment with a good cap like a beer with Krausen. I wouldnt do it in anything less then a 7.9 gallon bucket!!!!!

Okay, but could I reduce the batch size a little with the 6 gallon kit (with the result being a higher alcohol wine, i.e. more concentrated must) and then use the 6.5 gallon carboy?

OR, why not just use a good sized blow off tube for the primary?

I would not play around with reducing the batch size of a kit because you will throw the balance off, High sg, ph, ta etc. creating a harsh environment for the yeast thus making them striggle which may cause off flavors and tastes. You can try the blow off tube like I suggested but I believe you are going to have a mess. Do you make 6 gallon batches of beer in a 6 1/2 gallon carboy? I know I wouldnt,

The merlot I made basically got no head on it as it fermented. it bubbles, but nothing was there to catch the gas and create much foam. I remember how I could actually here the hissing of the bubbles popping on the surface of the the wine.

I actually wish I WOULD have used a 5 gallon carboy for my secondary. I had specifically bought a 6 gallon carboy for wine making. I used a 6.5 gallon fpor the primary (no issues) and then racked into the 6 gallon. There was way too much headspace in the 6 because of how much sediment was left behind in the primary that I ended having to add a couple bottles of store bought red wine to the secondary in order to top it off without diluting the stuff too much.

I would have not had to add anything if I would have racked into a 5 gallon.

BUT, i have SUPER limited experience here. I just made one batch of wine.

It's always a good idea to have a nice supply of 1 gallon and 1/2 gallon carboys to catch any overflow and you can use any size primary or secondary you want. For that matter, the more glass the better - of all sizes.

So then i'll be fine using a 6.5 primary with a blow-off. Can I try a 6.5 with just an airlock, or is that just asking for trouble? Are there any 5 gallon wine kits (and if not, why do you guys always have to cause trouble and be different than the beer kits? can't we all just get along?)

So then i'll be fine using a 6.5 primary with a blow-off. Can I try a 6.5 with just an airlock, or is that just asking for trouble? Are there any 5 gallon wine kits (and if not, why do you guys always have to cause trouble and be different than the beer kits? can't we all just get along?)

I don't think there are any 5 gallon wine kits- I think they all make 6 gallons. You can use a 6.5 gallon for primary, no problem, but you'll want a 6 gallon carboy for secondary. You could also do one 5 gallon carboy, and a one gallon jug for secondary, but then it's hard to do the degassing and clarifying step.

I don't think there are any 5 gallon wine kits- I think they all make 6 gallons. You can use a 6.5 gallon for primary, no problem, but you'll want a 6 gallon carboy for secondary. You could also do one 5 gallon carboy, and a one gallon jug for secondary, but then it's hard to do the degassing and clarifying step.

It's rare to find a 5 gallon red/white wine kit, most 5gal kits are fruit wines. I have never had as violent of a fermentation in wine as beer, so you might be able to get away with 6.5gal. 8gal buckets aren't too expensive though...

Does fermcap work with wine? My guess is that it probably does not.

I found a place in Toronto that sells a 5 gal pale of freshly squezed grape juice to order. You call ahead and let them know what you would like and they tell you when you can pick it up. They can do it to order too. If you want 7.5 or 4 gal they can give you whatever and price it accordingly. It's cheap too, 5 gals of Cabernet way $40 CAN ($35 US?).

I only mention this because they can't be the only ones who do it. There might be someone in you area.

I've seen and made wine from 3 gallon kits and 6 gallon kits. You can use a 6.5 gallon no problem. They don't foam up as bad as beer does. I also used a 3 gallon glass carboy with the 3 gallon wine kit.

Wine kits are great and make really good tasting wine. I have found the expensive wines like the riesling ice wine kit was in a 3 gallon kit. I just got done making a chocolate raspberry kit that was 6 gallons but was about $120 and was special order.

but most regular 6 gallon kits at my hbs are $80ish.

Also I have found they come with their own labels, which is real nice. We give wines out at Christmas and they go over real well.

Not sure about the bias against plastic primary fermenter buckets. They're cheaper and provide plenty of headspace. Sure, you can definitely use a 6.5, but I personally feel that the 6.5s are just asking to be broken, they're way too bulky. Additionally, the wine is only going to be in contact with the plastic for all of 2-3 weeks at the very most. Like others have said, most of the kits are 6 gallon. Some of the special kits, like ice wines, port wine, and things like that are smaller quantities. I think they make them in 6 gallon batches because the additives and process just work better for 6 gallon quantities.

Back