Aged hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pipapat

Reaction score
So i am going to be brewing around 15.5 gallons of lambic in the next month.
My problem is i have not found any aged hops.
Any one know where i could obtain around 6oz of aged hops?

If not has anyone had any good results from baking them or other artificially aging methods?

Are health food store hops an option?
I often see then in leaf form for tea.

:mug:

So i am going to be brewing around 15.5 gallons of lambic in the next month.
My problem is i have not found any aged hops.
Any one know where i could obtain around 6oz of aged hops?

If not has anyone had any good results from baking them or other artificially aging methods?

Are health food store hops an option?
I often see then in leaf form for tea.

:mug:

I've read that leaving them in a paper bag on the counter helps them age faster.

I've read that leaving them in a paper bag on the counter helps them age faster.

From my limited understanding it still takes around a year or more.

I have bought a pound worth of low alpha hops but dont really want to wait a year to brew this.

How low is that AA%? I have just used low AA hops and hopped my lambic batches up to around 10IBU and called it good enough.... YMMV

How low is that AA%? I have just used low AA hops and hopped my lambic batches up to around 10IBU and called it good enough.... YMMV

1.9 alpha saaz.
lowest i could find locally.

I would have absolutely no problem using those... here is something to ease your mind:

The Mad Fermentationist said:
I have not found aged hops to be a necessity for any sour beers including inoculated-lambics. Since you are adding the microbes yourself you do not need to worry about protecting the beer from wild invaders as lambic brewers must when they are slowly cooling their wort in a coolship, exposed to the microbe-laden air. If you are looking to do a spontaneous/ambient fermentation then aging hops is something you should look into (several years before brewing...).

from: http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2009/11/brewing-sour-beer-at-home.html

I seem to be pimping Oldsock's site quite a bit lately; but, I think it is a pretty good resource for sour beer brewing!

Most of the recipes I have seen have been between 10 and 15... so, I would think anywhere in that area would be pretty good.

Great my first lambic will be getting off the ground in 2-3 weeks then.

Back