Do I need a protein rest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Connor85

Reaction score
I recently brewed my first AG batch, and it tastes fantastic. However, it seems to have a bit of a chill haze to it. It was a 5 gal batch, a pale ale made with 10lb pale ale malt, and 2 lb 40L crystal. I did a single temp rest @ 154, and took 2 batch sparge runnings @ 160 and 170.

I am about to make an 'English' Brown ale, and I am wondering if a short protein rest during the mash would help take care of that problem for this batch. I was thinking, with this grain bill, maybe dough in @ 130-135 for 10 min, then add boiling water to take it up to 155 for another 45min, then batchsparge @ 170. I'm still new to this, so any advice is very much appreciated. Here is the grist bill:

3 gallon batch

Maris Otter 4.0 lb
Crystal 30L .8 lb
Biscuit .5 lb
Chocolate .2 lb

I understand that the mash program needs to be designed around the malts used in the mash, but I haven't fully explored how to interpret and apply malt bill info into the mash design. Once again, any help is appreciated.

no, protein rest is not needed anymore IMO

boil as vigorously as you can (and I mean boil the **** out of it) and then chill as fast as you can.

And if that doesnt work try switching up your base malt

usually a protein rest isnt a requirement unless using I think 25% or more of an unmalted grain. but ive always used one, I find it helps with chill haze and it gives me room for error if my strike water is too hot and I over shoot the protein rest I wont denature the amylases.

I don't use any clarifying agents. I do use a copper immersion chiller. I use a propane burner, so I can get a pretty good boil.

How long should I let the wort sit after chilling before pitching? I usually siphon into the fermenter, so maybe I'm transferring too much of the break material into the fermenter?

I'm no overly worried, as it is only a cosmetic issue. I'm pretty sure it will taste just fine. But it doesn't hurt to try new things.

Use a little Irish moss at 15 min in the boil, and you will experience greatly improved clarity.

Try to chill as fast as poss. TO your pitching temp, then pitch imediately. No reason to wait.

Break material in the fermenter isn't a problem as long as you chill fast enough to get a healthy cold break.

usually a protein rest isnt a requirement unless using I think 25% or more of an unmalted grain. but ive always used one, I find it helps with chill haze and it gives me room for error if my strike water is too hot and I over shoot the protein rest I wont denature the amylases.

Do you dough in at 1 qt/lb and bring it up with another infusion, or do you have some other method of heating it up?

- Eric

I used to get chill haze. Started using 5.2 in the mash to stabilize mash pH, add Irish Moss with 15 minutes left, and use the "boil the snot out of it" method BM advocates. You could read a book through my last couple of batches.

- Eric

Thanks for the replies.

I decided I'm just going to do a single rest @ 155 and call it good for this batch. I'm going to mash in @ 1.2 qt/gal. I don't have any Irish moss on hand, and the LHBS is closed (I'm a night owl). I'll just make sure I chill quickly and see how it goes. If I have problems with this batch too, I'll try the Irish moss in the next one.

Again, thanks for the help!

Post ferment you could look at using gelatin to clear if it is a too hazy, but I also recommend Irish Moss. It is pretty much a habit for me, moss, nutrient, stir, throw in the IC for 15 minutes.

yep, 1 whirlfloc tab at 15mins per 5gallons for me, I have alien looking cold break in the fermenters

I use whirlfloc the last 15 minutes of the boil and you can actually see the clumping actions of the protiens during the chilling. It works better than any other clarifier that I have used. My beer is very clear when poured.

I use whirlfloc the last 15 minutes of the boil and you can actually see the clumping actions of the protiens during the chilling. It works better than any other clarifier that I have used. My beer is very clear when poured.

Curious, how much do you use per 5g?

I only do a protien rest if I'm using large amounts of unmalted grain. Like the wit I did which was over 70% wheat got a protein rest. It also helps prevent stuck sparges.

As far as clarity goes, I don't use any clarifying agent except for time and cold, and my beers are crystal clear.

When I add Irish Moss I usually get a second hot break... a little foam, and new clumps of stuff showing up. Definitely can tell the difference with it.

When I am done with this bag I may go to Whirlfloc tabs.

- Eric

Latest posts

Back