I'm a joke!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, my daughter (age 18 and a senior in high school) tells me tonight that for the last few months her Spanish IV class has a weekly "Tara's Mom-isms" and they listen to the latest words of wisdom from Tara's mom. Which is me.

Apparently, even though my kids don't listen to me, they take note of things I say that others might consider funny and then laugh at them in front of a teacher and strangers.

I guess I said, "Tough Titties" to Tara one day last week when she bemoaned the fact that she couldn't have Italian salad dressing and that she NEEDED this salad dressing because it was the ONLY kind of dressing she likes and she NEVER gets what she wants. The class thought that was very funny. I also said, when someone asked me if I wanted to be in a hockey tournament, "Oh, yes, that would be the tits!". I also believe she told the class that as a homebrewer, I like to drink and I say things like, "Bud Light is for pu$$ies".

Now, taken out of context, I sound like a very bad mother.

There are many, many others, some kind of profane, some not. Apparently, the class and teacher think I am a total potty mouth. I'm actually an articulate, intelligent, productive member of society. Unfortunately, the school system thinks I'm a drunk foul mouth lunatic. But I usually reserve that persona for weekends!

Ok...So as a former 18 year old (Guy so maybe not a fair comparison)...and knowing that her mom makes beer and wine...and at very least occasionally lets her sample them...I'd say that she is more than a little spoiled, but your parents never seem cool...no matter what.

Tell her that The Big Kahuna thinks she has a way cool mom, and that she's more than welcome to come live with us for a week if she thinks it's so terrible not to get Italian dressing. The only thing Italian in our house is my bottle capper.

:drunk: Brew Parents Unite:drunk:

Brew Runner said:
My friends back in HS would have thought you were cool for saying things like that.:mug:
+1 ..... and you bring up a good point. It was always the moms with the loose mouth that seemed the coolest.

My experience (as a kid not a parent) is that when people decide to have kids they're choosing not just to put another person through the same hell they went through in school, but to relive it themselves.

Has the class seen your avatar yet? That surely should dispell any misconceptions they might have about you.

YooperBrew said:
I'm actually an articulate, intelligent, productive member of society. Unfortunately, the school system thinks I'm a drunk foul mouth lunatic.

I've met you in person on a couple occasions, Yooper. I vote with the school system.

:D ;)

Kidding, of course! What do you expect? Your daughter's a teenager. All parents are laughingstocks to their teenagers.:cross:

...so tell us something we DIDN'T know!!! :D ;)

Yooper, who names their kids "Yooper"? j/k (I know what it means):mug:

You should tell her that at least you didn't name her "YOOPER"...or her dad wanted to but you got him to change his mind at the last minute...:ban:

you shouldn't worry what teenagers think of you. and you definately shouldn't give a toss about what the pta thinks of you! ;)

Yooper, I don't know if anyone with an adult child told you this yet but you will get smarter in a few years. For some reason while their in the teen years, you are really dumb but when they become an adult, you get smarter.
Also, you are more cool if their friends say you are. Yesterday my daughter thought it was weird I was making cheese UNTIL her best friend thought it was really cool.

Back to being a joke, if it was hurtful to you I hope you told her that. What the heck is that teacher thinking encouraging anything hurtful and/or disrespectful to parents in her classroom.

I think you sound like a cool mom -- if my mom ever said anything was "the tits", I would think it was the funniest thing ever.

Do you want to adopt an adult child? I'm (mostly) potty-trained.

YooperBrew said:
...I also said, when someone asked me if I wanted to be in a hockey tournament, "Oh, yes, that would be the tits!"...

Hilarious story, but I wanted to ask you about one thing in particular. When you say tits, that means great, or something good, right? Do a lot of people up there use that phrase?

Backstory: I majored in linguistics in college, and I'm always interested in different phrases moving in and out of popular usage. I work at a bar, and there was a guy who moved down from Detroit and worked at my bar for a few month. Everything good was "tits" all the time.

The first time I heard him say it, I was totally confused, and when he explained it, I was like, okay, that makes sense, I guess, but I thought it was just his personal thing, not in general usage anywhere. Apparently, "tits" or "titties" is a Detroit/Michigan thing, eh?

Torchiest said:
Hilarious story, but I wanted to ask you about one thing in particular. When you say tits, that means great, or something good, right? Do a lot of people up there use that phrase?

Backstory: I majored in linguistics in college, and I'm always interested in different phrases moving in and out of popular usage. I work at a bar, and there was a guy who moved down from Detroit and worked at my bar for a few month. Everything good was "tits" all the time.

The first time I heard him say it, I was totally confused, and when he explained it, I was like, okay, that makes sense, I guess, but I thought it was just his personal thing, not in general usage anywhere. Apparently, "tits" or "titties" is a Detroit/Michigan thing, eh?

We say it here all the time. Also things like: That'd be the ****! Meaning a good thing.

Okay, maybe it's a midwest thing. I should ask my sister in Minnesota if they say that. I think "the sh*t" is pretty universal in America for something that's good though, cuz we sure as hell say it down here in Texas all the time.

Torchiest said:
Okay, maybe it's a midwest thing. I should ask my sister in Minnesota if they say that. I think "the sh*t" is pretty universal in America for something that's good though, cuz we sure as hell say it down here in Texas all the time.

My hubby says "tits" all the time, and he's from Connecticut.

It very much confuses the local Texans. You can tell who's Baptist by whoever blushes.

We've been using the slang phrases in question out here on the left coast for a while, too. I think they often start out being regional, but the internet helps them spread faster than they would have by conventional word-of-mouth.

I agree that its in wide spread. I've been known to say;

"Burrr!!! Its as cold as a witches tit out here!"
"Tough-Titties"

I'm my book use of "tit" in general usually has a good connotation.

My FIL has his own O'Rourke-isms. (his lastname) And he's made fun of alot, but its to his face.

The Mexican are the funniest
  • Fajitas = I'm gonna order some Fageetas!
  • Margaritas = Please bring me one of those large Marga-ree-atas.
  • Guacamole = Pass the Gwacka-more-ray.
  • TiVo = I want to Tee-ball that movie.
  • Gyros = Let's go get some ji-rows
  • Goodbye = Talk on you later???
  • Jerk = He's a jag in the bag???

Its a shame that the class is using you as a butt of joke behind your back. In my opinion; once haha very funny, twice not so amusing, three times getting disrespectful.

You can be the bigger person and let this pass. If the teacher is sponsering this I'd call them to express your feelings on the matter.

:mug:

Texas must be behind on that one, because I never hear anyone use that phrase out here. I do know that literally came into major usage in the last couple years, and before that it was the word basically, which got throw into almost every sentence uttered without really adding any information. But that's just my nerdy interest in the subject.

I'm just going to place a little wager here, knowing Yooper and the relationship she has with her daughter, that this is all in good fun....

Bedlam said:
My hubby says "tits" all the time, and he's from Connecticut.

<---------- Another frequent user of the term "tits" from Connecticut.

So, now that you know your daughter is doing this are you going to watch what you say around her so people don't think you're crazy, or turn it up a notch so people think you're really crazy?:D

I'd show up to her class wearing that outfit in your avatar and start smacking that teacher on the ass with a riding crop. Then we'll see what the kids and the PTA think!

Or if you just want to shock you daughter wear that outfit while cooking dinner, so she see you as she comes in the door and the casually ask her, "Can you go somewhere for a few hours tonight?" with no explanation. lol

the_bird said:
I'm just going to place a little wager here, knowing Yooper and the relationship she has with her daughter, that this is all in good fun....

Yep, that's pretty much it. Tara thinks I'm cool, mostly because her friends think I am. She also has the same sense of humor as me and thinks I'm very funny. In fact, our relationship is the tits!

She's actually dragged other kids in our house and said, "Hey, Mom, say something funny!" The other thing that she loves/hates is that we have great taste in music in our house, so if someone is playing something particularly loud, we've been known to yell, "Hey, turn that **** UP!".

I was just surprised to know that her Spanish teacher allows some of my quotes in her class. Some of them are not particularly politically correct.

Yoop - I got the impression you were PO'd about this from looking at your initial post. At least disappointed that the teacher is getting the wrong impression.

Bird raises a good question... are they just translating or is she teaching them equivalent phrase. Whats the spanish phrase for; "Bud's for pussies!"

http://translation2.paralink.com/

Bud is for pussies
Spanish: El brote es para gatitos
French: Le bourgeon est pour les minets
German: Knospe ist für Kätzchen
Russian: &#1047;&#1072;&#1088;&#1086;&#1076;&#1099;&#1096; - &#1076;&#1083;&#1103; &#1082;&#1080;&#1089;&#1086;&#1082;​

Tough Tits:
Spanish: Paros Resistentes
French: Mésanges Résistantes
German: Zähe Meisen
Russian: &#1046;&#1077;&#1089;&#1090;&#1082;&#1080;&#1077; &#1057;&#1080;&#1085;&#1080;&#1094;&#1099;​
Bud light tastes like piss
Spanish: La luz de brote sabe como la orina
French: La lumière de bourgeon goûte comme la pisse
German: Knospe-Licht schmeckt wie Pisse
Russian: &#1057;&#1074;&#1077;&#1090; &#1079;&#1072;&#1088;&#1086;&#1076;&#1099;&#1096;&#1072; &#1103;&#1074;&#1083;&#1103;&#1077;&#1090;&#1089;&#1103; &#1085;&#1072; &#1074;&#1082;&#1091;&#1089; &#1082;&#1072;&#1082; &#1084;&#1086;&#1095;&#1072;​

My wifes fav - This sucks balls
Spanish: Este sorbe pelotas
French: Cela suce des boules
German: Das saugt Bälle
Russian: &#1069;&#1090;&#1086; &#1089;&#1086;&#1089;&#1077;&#1090; &#1096;&#1072;&#1088;&#1099;​

Yoop you need to start making potty mouth statements in Spanish... at least the teacher will know you as a bilinguial potty mouth!!! :D

I know I'm still kinda new here, but the wife and I often joke about how our future kids will turn out, seeing as how both she and I served ten years in the Navy. That's right, my wife knows how to (and often does) cuss like a drunken sailor; sometimes I have to break down and laugh at the stuff that comes out of her mouth.

We both relish the fact that our future kids won't stand a chance against us, and I have every intention of embarrassing them in front of their friends as often as I can, but only because I know in the end I will still be though of as cool because of all of my hobbies. :)

My mom used to say tough titty when I was a kid. I grew up in Oklahoma but my folks lived for a while in Alaska before I was born. Maybe that is where she got it.

I say take the game to her. Go get a stained up wife beater and some old ratty cut-offs and surprise her in class. Be sure to blacken out a couple of teeth and be carrying a mysterious jug of something. You might want to clear this will the school ahead of time. :mug:

Something good is "the cat's ass". I once asked somebody what "the cat's ass" meant and they replied that it can't be licked!

Anybody else remember spanish class in high school? Man, talk about boring. Anything the teacher can latch onto to make the subject a little less boring is a good thing. I studied french at a Jesuit school. The teacher was a priest. He taught us how to solicit hookers and order drinks in French. Hey, it kept our interest!

Of course, nowadays, somebody's mom is going to get her panties in a bunch and complain. Heaven forbid school actually be fun and keep the kid's attention!

I wish they had done something like that in Latin class. All I remember is "Fundus est agricolae, ee-eye-ee-eye-oh." Foul language would have been a lot more interesting. :D

YooperBrew said:
So, my daughter (age 18 and a senior in high school) tells me tonight that for the last few months her Spanish IV class has a weekly "Tara's Mom-isms" and they listen to the latest words of wisdom from Tara's mom. Which is me.

Apparently, even though my kids don't listen to me, they take note of things I say that others might consider funny and then laugh at them in front of a teacher and strangers.

I guess I said, "Tough Titties" to Tara one day last week when she bemoaned the fact that she couldn't have Italian salad dressing and that she NEEDED this salad dressing because it was the ONLY kind of dressing she likes and she NEVER gets what she wants. The class thought that was very funny. I also said, when someone asked me if I wanted to be in a hockey tournament, "Oh, yes, that would be the tits!". I also believe she told the class that as a homebrewer, I like to drink and I say things like, "Bud Light is for pu$$ies".

Now, taken out of context, I sound like a very bad mother.

There are many, many others, some kind of profane, some not. Apparently, the class and teacher think I am a total potty mouth. I'm actually an articulate, intelligent, productive member of society. Unfortunately, the school system thinks I'm a drunk foul mouth lunatic. But I usually reserve that persona for weekends!

hope you saw it....

Sir Humpsalot said:
Something good is "the cat's ass". I once asked somebody what "the cat's ass" meant and they replied that it can't be licked!

Anybody else remember spanish class in high school? Man, talk about boring. Anything the teacher can latch onto to make the subject a little less boring is a good thing. I studied french at a Jesuit school. The teacher was a priest. He taught us how to solicit hookers and order drinks in French. Hey, it kept our interest!

Of course, nowadays, somebody's mom is going to get her panties in a bunch and complain. Heaven forbid school actually be fun and keep the kid's attention!
I'm teaching my son prepositional phrases.......I tell him,"Look for the group of words that has a structure similar to 'Up your butt'!" He laughs, and it works!

Back