Craigslist Score!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talleymonster

Reaction score
So I emailed a guy almost 2 weeks ago who placed an ad selling carboys and misc wine making utensils.

I emailed him but never got a response.

Well out of the blue he sent me an email yesterday. He was out of town for 10 days, that's why he hadn't responded to my emails. So he gave me instructions to his house. I went over there today. He was more than 20 miles away :(. He opened his garage and my jaw dropped. He had home brew and wine making supplies everywhere!!! He said he hasn't brewed anything in over 3 years. He said they've got about 4 or 5 more carboys still full of wine and beer in Seattle, Wa.

He had box after box after box of stuff. He and his wife were just digging in boxes for stuff I might want. What I left with is just a smidgen of what this guy has. He had 3 cases of brand new amber flip-top bottles never even used. He didn't want to sell them to me because he wants them for root beer for his kids. Fair enough. In the CL ad they said they had a couple 3 gallon carboys, but they couldn't find them. But he had about 20 3 gallon cornies. He had all the gear for kegging minus the freezer. He had several bottling buckets and fermenting buckets, several 15 gallon food grade buckets, tons of misc stuff, a 25 ft wort chiller, a SS brew kettle (kinda small though, definitely partial boils) and so much more stuff that I already cannot remember. They said they are in the process of cleaning out their garage and that once they went through everything they were going to post another ad on CraigsList. They said that if I wanted them to they would call me and give me frist pick. I said "Hell yes!!!".

Here's What I Got
  • 55 Brand new 12 oz amber bottles
  • 7 bungs with airlocks
  • Misc. sized bungs
  • 5 - 5 gallon glass carboys, with home made carboy covers. (They are pretty nice. His wife made them. They are elastic at the top.)
  • 3 - 6 gallon glass carboys
  • 1 - 1 gallon glass carboy
  • 77 bottle capacity bottle tree
  • 1 oz Irish Moss
  • Full 4 oz bottle of BTF
  • Old bottle capper (he threw it in for free)
  • Bottle Washer attachment for sink
4ts2xx1.jpg

:rockin:

EDIT

I forgot to mention. I paid 110$.

LOL! sorry i had to laugh at that tally... i replied to the first one you posted, and asked about how much you paid... then i saw the repost and you included the price... lol... ok sorry sorry...

That's DAMN good.. you got all that for the price of 4 carboys at my LHBS (give or take a lil)... wow...

MAN! Welcome to the "SCORE!" club!.....I just recently found some luck of my own and I'm still postcoital:eek: Strong work Brother! Now the real fun is figuring out what awesome things you're gonna do with it!

SERIOUSLY though...you need to get on those corny's. Those things go for way more than the 5 gal models. You should probably go ahead and make him an offer....then open a spot on Ebay. Cash is king. Show up in a truck, flash like $275-$300 cash in his face, and say you could empty his garage for him. You could easily skim $20-$30 from each keg, and with 20 kegs, you're looking at around $200+ profit. Do it! :mug:

Definite on the cornies; grab em and unload them here or ebay; those things are money! Sell those, and use any profit to pay for the rest of that tremedous score :D. Dang, why isn't Michigan closer to Nevada?

I was thinking about this:

The guy said he hasn't brewed in over three years. Do you think the Irish Moss I got is still any good? It was in a sealed tupperware container, his wife wanted to kep the container so we put it in a pil cannister.

Is it any good?

Awesome score. I never see anything like that near Chicago... but I keep trying.

Yeah, if I were you I would grab up the kegging gear. I havn't brewed that much and already like the idea of getting a kegging setup eventually. Good thing I have a Birthday coming up. ;)

Holy mackerel!!!! Those 3 gal corny's seem to be fetching $50+ here and on ebay. If you could get them for 300-400, then sell em all, you could finance your brewing for some time. Awesome score!!! Still looking for my first homebrew craigslist score.

Note: I guess indrectly, I did have a craigslist score. Got a renter from there that brought their own fridge, allowing me to use the one in my rental as a keg fridge. But need to find a real score.

I landed a pretty good score a while back, I got a guys 10 gallon all grain system, kegging system with 3 kegs and a grip load of odds and ends for 480 dollars. I priced it all and it came to over 1000.00 worth of equipment.

Back