Dreadnaught fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You still have the option of pitching another yeast. I'd suggest wlp099 super high gravity yeast--it's English & tolerant to 25% in theory. Make a big starter, well aerated. Even with mashing at 155 or even 159, there's plenty of fermentable sugars left in there for a hardy yeast to chew up!

Yeah, I second that. Make a starter with a hearty yeast and pitch when the yeast is most active in the starter (~1 day).

Picked up WLP099. What's easiest way to make a starter. I have DME yeast nutrient & gallon carboy.

Jamil has a really good article on how to make a starter. You can also listen to the protocol at the brewing network.

But, basically you make a wort at a concentration of 1.050 sg without any hops. Based on the Mr. Malty yeast calc, you need a 2L starter for a 1.058 wort. Make sure you sanitize the carboy really well. Some people like sterilizing the fermentation vessel first but that's not necessary (mostly because I don't know what kind of glass your container is). Instead of an airlock, you want to place a piece of foil (sanitized) over the opening, to allow oxygen in but keep bugs out. After that, just swirl the wort and yeast every so often to work more oxygen into the wort. The starter should be good to go in about ~24 hours.

Since the brewing network show is only 60 minutes long, you should really listen to it. They (Jamil and John Palmer) talk about your specific problem of pitching an active starter to reinvigorate fermentation.

Good luck!

Made a starter tonight see how it goes in the morning ended up being ..1.040 I put an airlock on because I have ants so as a precautionary measure I decided to do this. I may take lock off & use foil in the morning.

advogold said:
Made a starter tonight see how it goes in the morning ended up being ..1.040 I put an airlock on because I have ants so as a precautionary measure I decided to do this. I may take lock off & use foil in the morning.

That's a smart idea with the ants. The foil is to allow oxygen in b/c it's key to yeast cell growth. Perhaps it will be sufficient to to shake vigorously without the airlock on then replace it between shaking to keep out the ants. Better a slightly lower cell count than ants in your starter.

Shook it up and placed foil on top on fridge next to Dreadnaught can't wait to pitch it in

Went home shook it up some more can't wait to pitch it.

Gonna do an ed haus recipe but dry hop with citra. I'm hooked on that zombie dust clone my favorite. I hope I get to drink a real one soon.

Shaking up yeast starter doesn't seem too bad just getting some air in it. I'll probably crash it so yeast settles tomorrow night then drain off extra wort let it heat up to room temp before pitching into Dreadnaught IPA. Does anyone know if I can reuse my yeast since it will have s04 & wlp099 in same beer?

You CAN re-use the yeast, but keep in mind that 099 is designed for big beers. On the White Labs website, some ppl have reported unpleasant flavors using 099 on lower gravity brews. It's my 1st time with the yeast, though, so that's all I know.

I've never made a starter so this is the first I'm going to pitch yeast tonight I've pulled from fridge taken liquid off top letting it be at room temp for a few hrs before I pitch into my Dreadnaught. I'm totally out of beer. I really could use a 3 floyds zombie dust the real stuff. Thanks for helping me through this ordeal everyone. Cheers

Pitched my starter wlp099 I checked my gravity first it was 1.054 so its going down. This yeast will jump start my beer hopefully. It's barely moved supposed to finish at 1.026-1.030

Pretty jacked hopefully this one comes out good It's been a pain in the Ass. But I'm enjoying a brew free IPA. Has anyone else tried one or any 21 amendment beer the hell or high watermelon is ok but my preferences are brew free IPA #1 bitter American #2 back in black IPA #3 anyone else have feedback? I'd do a trade for zombie dust or Dreadnaught. My favorite team is Bears so enjoying beers from there and being on the western part of country is ironic. Gracious none the less.

advogold said:
I've never made a starter so this is the first I'm going to pitch yeast tonight I've pulled from fridge taken liquid off top letting it be at room temp for a few hrs before I pitch into my Dreadnaught. I'm totally out of beer. I really could use a 3 floyds zombie dust the real stuff. Thanks for helping me through this ordeal everyone. Cheers

Sounds like you're doing it right :). Keep us posted!

And HBT has probably saved more batches of beer than can be counted. I love this forum!

Yes, I agree anything can be fixed if there's good sanitation just acquiring the knowledge from more experienced brewers is awesome.

Just checked my Dreadnaught. It's back to life again now. I'm so happy.

How long should i give it before doing another gravity reading another two weeks by then it'll have been in fermenter a month

I'd wait at least until you don't see anything going on, then pull a sample and check it. Good luck.
If it is in a bucket and you don't want to pop the lid then just wait a week from your repitch

Still fermenting quite vigorously. At almost 5 days out from repitch.

Starting to slow down will check gravity this weekend. Eager to get it into my keg n drink some.

Checked gravity this morning on my Dreadnaught and it is 1.016 supposed to finish at .1.024-1.030 very pleased can't wait to get it kegged. My ed haus is there so checked gravity it was 1.020 still high for it so I threw an oz of citra to dry hop give it another week or so before ready. Cheers.

Does anyone know what I can expect as far as taste. For this recipe

advogold said:
Checked gravity this morning on my Dreadnaught and it is 1.016 supposed to finish at .1.024-1.030 very pleased can't wait to get it kegged. My ed haus is there so checked gravity it was 1.020 still high for it so I threw an oz of citra to dry hop give it another week or so before ready. Cheers.

I'm totally puzzled how you drew the conclusion of throwing hops into your beer because your gravity was supposedly to high. Hops don't cause fermentation.

Be puzzled I threw hops in to my pale ale because I was dry hopping. If it was ready I'd skip the dry hop as it twas not in the original recipe. I like the citra hop & had an oz to use.

Wow got it kegged drank a few pints. It is quite tasty. Probably drink this one slower as the 11% abv is alot for a beer. It's a good beer not nasty like some of those IIPAs

Back