Belgian Wit questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoxerDog

Reaction score
Belgian wit is up next, some questions.

1. Honey or Belgian candy sugar?

2. Fresh orange zest or dried from the home brew shop?

What is the flavor profile from white labs wit yeast?

We didn't use any honey nor sugar in our wit, as we like our beers a little heavier in body. We used the dried orange peel from the HBS. We used a dry safeale yeast, but our second attempt used a wyeast wit yeast (in primary). The safeale was damn good, nice and clean, but with enough body and complexity to make it interesting.

my $.02

mike

BoxerDog said:
Belgian wit is up next, some questions.
1. Honey or Belgian candy sugar?
I don't believe that Wits typically have sugar adjuncts. They do however have spices like coriander and orange zest. I used dried bitter orange peel in my wit but it is still in the fermenter so I can't tell you how it turned out.
Craig

CBBaron said:
I don't believe that Wits typically have sugar adjuncts. They do however have spices like coriander and orange zest. I used dried bitter orange peel in my wit but it is still in the fermenter so I can't tell you how it turned out.
Craig

I used dried bitter orange peel, turned out fantastic.

I would say my Wit was the favorite of my beers so far. Used some dried sweet and bitter orange peel from AHBS with some coriander seed. No honey or anything though.

It turned out great using the White Labs Belgian Wit WLP400.

I actually have another fermenting right now...

No added sugars.

50% pale malt
50% flaked wheat
Dried Orange Bitters (3/4 oz for a 5-gallon batch)
Crushed Coriande (3/4 oz for a 5-gallon batch)
Some East Kent Goldings Hops.

The Wyeast 400 is perfect. Be careful that you keep an eye on the krausen. It likes to take off. You might also need to swirl the carboy around a bit to knock some of that yeast back down into the beer. It has a tendency to "beach" itself on the fermenter wall and your fermentation can slow way down.

Again, no added sugars in a wit.

BierMuncher said:
No added sugars.

50% pale malt
50% flaked wheat
Dried Orange Bitters (3/4 oz for a 5-gallon batch)
Crushed Coriande (3/4 oz for a 5-gallon batch)
Some East Kent Goldings Hops.

The Wyeast 400 is perfect. Be careful that you keep an eye on the krausen. It likes to take off. You might also need to swirl the carboy around a bit to knock some of that yeast back down into the beer. It has a tendency to "beach" itself on the fermenter wall and your fermentation can slow way down.

Again, no added sugars in a wit.

Yeah, that happened to me too. I had to knock down some of the krausen that was drying onto the wall of my fermenter. But it all worked out well.

I kegged mine a couple of weeks ago and it's already turning into one of my faves. I'll definitely be brewing that again.

Though the spices and yeast are easy to figure out, the hops in a wit perplex me. Every recipe has a different hop profile, including the ones in the store. Right now I am drinking one that is very mild and it lists Saaz hops on its label. Have another one that uses cascade. Of course, all of them taste good but can be very different.

My wit is in my fermenter right now. I went with grapefruit peel instead of orange just to mix it up. I was expecting the head to go crazy, but it has been very mellow. It is sitting right at 69-70 degrees though, so it is a little cool for the type of yeast, but it seems to be working. I'm using the white labs 410 seasonal wit yeast.

Oh, and no added sugar in mine either. There's a recipe that VERY similar in the joy of home brewing for a grand cru that uses 2 pounds of honey, but that's for a grand cru.

My Belgian witbier has always turned out so-so when using unmalted wheat, i figured I can't be mashing it properly. I followed Randy Mosher's advice in 'Radical Brewing' and made a single infusion wit using a high proportion of malted wheat along with pale malt and oatmeal, and spicing with marmalade, coriander and chamomile. Turned out really good. The WLP400 yeast but I've had equally good results with Safale T-58.

Anyone have handy what their O.G. was? I'm making a wit this weekend but I'm trying lemongrass instead of orange peel(I might put in a little coriander still- any advice?)

Latest posts

Back