No activity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJS625

Reaction score
alright I need some help. I Brewed Biermunchers Oktoberfast Saturday. Did a PM version and hit 1.055. I messed up and only ordered one packet of safale04 and figured it'd be fine. Pitched at 75 or so into almost 12 gallons(I know should have gone to lhbs and gotten another packet). Sunday and today I have no activity in my airlock. This is the first time using my 35 gallon fermenters so I'm hoping that's not it. I also brewed Haus pale ale 10 gallon PM with two packets of danstar. The pale ale is bubbling away so I think the large fermenters and extra air space is ok. I'm planning on getting two safales tomorrow but I just wanted some opinions on if it should turn out alright if i drop them in tomorrow. Risk of infection might be high since I added so little yeast right? If infection has set in, think pitching two packets will out compete?

Probably won't do you any good to add yeast tomorrow. You're having a longer lag time than you usually see because of the volume of beer and the amount of yeast. It'll probably start going any time now. The yeast are busy humping their brains out, making more yeast and then they'll get down to work.

(yes, I know yeast don't reproduce that way, but it makes a nice visual)

Alright thanks ill keep an eye on that airlock! Does underpitching increase risk of infection? I'm thinking if Tue yeast is not taking over bacteria could just run wild? But still billions of yeast to hopefully few bacteria so maybe not?

It's possible, but don't sweat it too much. Odds are still in your favor. Fermentation can take up to 72 hours or more to get started. You could even have fermentation going already and not know it. It can happen with no airlock bubbles or krausen.

Back