Fermentation restarted - Has this happened to anyone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfkriege

Reaction score
I am making a nice raspberry wine, and had it in the primary for about 3 weeks before racking it into a secondary container. That was about 2 months ago.

About 4 days ago the airlock started bubbling again and has been going at about 1 bubble every 30-60 seconds. I tasted it last night and it tastes young, but not infected (I think).

Has this happened to anyone else, or is there anything that I should do about it? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

If it didn't gag you, it's probably not infected. I'm not a vastly experienced winemaker, but I would rack it on to some campden & sorbate and see if that will stop the fermentation. And/or try degassing it--it could be just outgassing from a temp change.

My blackberry wine stalled. Took two weeks 1.109-> 1.040, then another two weeks 1.040->1.033. 11 days later: 1.004 It finally stopped at 0.991.

Check the gravity.

It tastes young, but fine, so I will assume that it just stalled. Besides, if it was starting to go bad, at this point, I don't think I could do much about it (it has been going for a few days). I will take a gravity reading tonight though, and see what it has to say.

Thank you,

Joshua

Back