Are there better hydrometers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakeshivers

Reaction score
Are there better hydrometers than the ones that come in the noob kits? The one I have is a simple floating hydrometer that comes with a plastic tube that you put the liquid in.

I don't like it because a small layer of foam accumulates at the surface which kinda prevents me from taking an accurate reading. Also, I keep forgetting to do the temperature conversion so i have to retake my reading. I suppose I should write this down anyhow. Still new at brewing...

Yes, there are. You can get a precision hydrometer, which is basically the same thing but covers a narrower range and so a larger scale, easier to read, etc.

Also, just let the foam dissipate (it will do this on its own if you wait), or do what I do and overfill your tube a bit then drop in your hydrometer so any foam is forced out before you measure.

Can't help you with the temperature measurement. That's just something you need to keep track of as part of using one. Also, it's best to try to keep it in a narrow temperature range, like room temperature or maybe up to 80 F or so, because the correction factors can get pretty wildly wrong as you get to higher temps.

Don't think there are. That I know of, at least. If you wait a few minutes and twirl the hydrometer, the foam goes away. Or you can just take a piece of paper towel or whatever and wipe it away - it's not like you're worried about the hydro sample getting infected or anything.

The real PITA in the ass with hydrometers is how easily they break. I'm on #3 right now. Can't anyone out there design a shatter-proof plastic one?

Oh, and after doing it a few times, taking the temp of your sample and converting the result will become second-nature. Though +1 on getting it to room temp.

I don't get how people always break their hydrometers. Just treat it like you would a champagne flute. You don't go around breaking glasses all the time, do you?

Are there better hydrometers than the ones that come in the noob kits? The one I have is a simple floating hydrometer that comes with a plastic tube that you put the liquid in.

I don't like it because a small layer of foam accumulates at the surface which kinda prevents me from taking an accurate reading. Also, I keep forgetting to do the temperature conversion so i have to retake my reading. I suppose I should write this down anyhow. Still new at brewing...

Instead of a hydrometer, you could buy a refractometer. Uses less sample (a few drops), does not need temp correction,

I use this graph, very quick and accurate.

Hydrometer.gif

If you don't like floating hydrometers your choices are a refractometer (cheap, but doesn't measure relative density directly but rather index of refraction) or an oscillating u-tube (not so cheap).

I don't get how people always break their hydrometers. Just treat it like you would a champagne flute. You don't go around breaking glasses all the time, do you?

I do; I try to be really careful with my hydrometer. When I first started I asked the same thing - how come so many people say they break their hydrometers, it seems so easy to take care of them, etc. But just a few days ago I was taking a gravity measurement and my hydrometer just touched the table top. Smash! Little pellets everywhere.

I do think people would break champagne flutes more often if they were held upside down, so that the weak part was on the bottom (as it seems to be with hydrometers).

Don't think there are. That I know of, at least. If you wait a few minutes and twirl the hydrometer, the foam goes away. Or you can just take a piece of paper towel or whatever and wipe it away - it's not like you're worried about the hydro sample getting infected or anything.

The real PITA in the ass with hydrometers is how easily they break. I'm on #3 right now. Can't anyone out there design a shatter-proof plastic one?

They make plastic hydrometers. Google it and you will find some.

I've had the same hydrometer for as long as I've been homebrewing. So far, no problems, but if mine breaks, I'll probably get a refractometer.

Oh, wait, this gives me an idea...

Yes there are better hydrometers available and they don't cost much more than the more commonly available ones:

http://www.williamsbrewing.com/PRECISION_SPECIFIC_GRAVITY_P539C74.cfm

It's longer than the typical hydrometer which permits the scale gradients to be spaced further apart for easier reading. I have yet to break one, but I am cautious when handling. No need to sanitize the jar, though I do clean it well with some detergent or Oxiclean after use. I often let the sample ferment out completely while keeping the hydrometer in the jar. I can get an approximation of the F.G doing this and it happens fairly quickly at warm room temperatures. Haven't had one go sour on me, but usually dump it after a few days, draw another sample and repeat. Usually the approximation is very close to the actual FG in the fermenter. You can also get a good idea of what the final SRM will be. OTOH, I often drink the sample, but it usually doesn't represent the end product very well at all unless it's close to finished and most of the yeast has dropped out. Sometimes the taste of the sample can be somewhat alarming, then later you learn that your concern was not merited when the beer turns out just fine. Mostly these are just things to do while waiting out the fermentation.

Latest posts

Back