stout recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chelero

Reaction score
I'm looking for a basic, non tricked out, stout recipe.
I'm going between some of the main books, and the ingredients differ a bit.
Jamil uses 2lbs flaked barley and 1lb roasted barley.
Dave Miller, 1lb flaked barley, 3/4ld roasted barley.
John Palmer, 1/2lb crystal, 1/2lb roasted barley.
So my questions are:
1. how will 1/2lb, 3/4lb, or 1lb roasted change the final beer
2. Is there any one recipe/ratio that people here like more?
3. Can I use rolled oats(cooked, and added to the steeping grains) instead of the flaked barley, which I can't get here, or would it be fine without?
thanks for the help,
c

I'm looking for a basic, non tricked out, stout recipe.
I'm going between some of the main books, and the ingredients differ a bit.
Jamil uses 2lbs flaked barley and 1lb roasted barley.
Dave Miller, 1lb flaked barley, 3/4ld roasted barley.
John Palmer, 1/2lb crystal, 1/2lb roasted barley.
So my questions are:
1. how will 1/2lb, 3/4lb, or 1lb roasted change the final beer

The more Roasted Barley you add, the more intense the flavor, just like adding any other ingredient.

2. Is there any one recipe/ratio that people here like more?
The classic, bog-standard Dry Irish Stout grist is 70% Pale Malt, 20% Flaked Barley and 10% Roasted Barley.

3. Can I use rolled oats(cooked, and added to the steeping grains) instead of the flaked barley, which I can't get here, or would it be fine without?
You cannot steep flaked grains. They must be mashed. Partial mashing is not difficult - DeathBrewer has an excellent tutorial in the Beginners section - but you definitely need to mash those grains, not steep them.

If you can mash, you can substitute flaked oats for flaked barley. Rolled oats = flaked oats, so you needn't pre-cook them. You can simply add them to the mash.

Of course you can just brew the stout recipe in my drop-down. :D It's a basic extract/steep stout that's been well-received.

Bob

so, there's no real way to substitute something for the flaked barley in jamil's recipe? i'm working with limited ingredients here.
NQ3X-your recipe look great, but I only have 2lbs of roasted to stretch out til my next trip to the states. BTW, how/how much did you carbonate? cuz the "pours with creamy small bubbles, like a guinness" part really intrigues me! I would just do Palmer's since I have everything, but then there's the school that crystal malt doesn't belong in a stout. maybe I should just do pamler's, and leave the dry stout style til I have some flaked barley, and leave the oatmeal deal til I figure out how to do the partial mash thing. OK, that was easy! either way, thanks for the help!
c

what about this??

Type: Extract
Date: 20/05/2009
Batch Size: 5.00 gal

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.00 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 82.76 %
0.50 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 6.90 %
0.25 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 3.45 %
0.25 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 3.45 %
0.25 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 3.45 %
2.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 35.5 IBU
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.053 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.29 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.65 %
Bitterness: 35.5 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 31.2 SRM Color: Color

If you want a simple recipe use the 70/20/10 recipe. You'll want your SG:IBU ratio between .8 and 1.0. I made one for St. Pattys with this approach, going on the low end of the bitterness and it was a huge hit. Unless you want to make a sweet stout you should really leave the crystal malts out. Use a clean, well attenuating yeast (Notty and US05 are both perfect), mash around 150-152 and keep the fermentation temps in the low to mid 60's. Make as much as you can because it will go fast. I'd recommend carbonating between 2.0-2.2 volumes, or between 2.85-3.4 oz corn sugar. Good luck.

but I can't get flaked barley. what i'm asking i guess, is, can I just leave out the flaked barley? or will that leave the beer flat feeling? is there another way to get the creamy mouthfeel that flaked barley/oats adds?

Some folks use instant oats as a sub for flaked oats. This could be a solution for you. I think you need to boil them then mash them. If you do that you are looking at an oatmeal stout, which I am not really familiar with. Maybe someone else can help you come up with something tasty using instant oats instead of flaked barley?

As I wrote above, flaked (quick or instant) oats do not require processing. Just add them to your mash.

There is no way to use flaked grains unless you mash them with a converting malt.

Instant oats are not recommended because they invariably contain all manner of processing aids and ingredients. Quick oats are oats that don't require boiling.

You can substitute flaked oats for flaked barley, though I recommend using less oats. Oats are much richer in fats that, in excess, can negatively impact the beer. If you choose to use oats instead of barley, use half. Don't forget to make up the grist percentage difference with pale malt or extract. You'll end up going 80-10-10.

I carbonate my beers, even kegged, naturally. I prime with sugar. The details are in the recipe thread, under Packaging.

Cheers!

Bob

Back