Yeast Nutrient

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcbrew

Reaction score
Working on a yeast starter tonight and was thinking......can I use yeast nutrient in the wort of my primary brew? The LHBS that I got my supplies for "yeast starting" gave me a bottle of yeast nutrient and I have only used an eighth of a tsp for each stage. Did a search on this and didn't come up with much. Just wondering if there would be any advantage to add yeast nutrient near the end of the boil.:confused:

Im not sure that I entirely understand your question. When I use yeast nutrient, I pour it on the bubbles that sit on top of the aereated wort, then I dump the yeast on top of that. I have not had any problems using this method, but I do question if the nutrient makes a big difference.

- magno

So, if I were to add nutrient to the wort, it would be after its cooled. Is there any taste issues? What is this stuff made of? Or, as you said, there is really no advantage to adding it to your wort so don't bother.

I add it to the cooled and aerrated wort just before the yeast. I have heard of other methods: adding to the end of the boil, or adding to secondary.

I was told that the nutrient is made mostly of dead yeast cells.

- magno

I've only needed yeast nutrient for starting my mead. Every starter I've made for beer I just add a cup of DME to a quart of water and then the tube o' yeast and it starts up fine.

I've started using yeast nutrient in all of my ales. I have really soft water (zero trace minerals) and was having trouble with ferments sticking at 1.018 or so.

Back