Transferring wort from MLT to kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kornbread

Reaction score
In the past I've been catching my runnings from my MLT in a large 2L Pyrex measuring cup and then pouring gently into my pot. This way I can measure how much wort is collected from each running.

Recently I've gotten my hands on a keg and converted it into a kettle. The problem is that It's much deeper, and the hole in the top won't allow me to lower the cup to the bottom without dumping (splashing) some of the wort into the pot.

So on my last batch I caught the runnings in an ale pale (with the markings on the side for measuring) and then I just dumped them into the pot. It sped up my process a little and was much less hassle.

But, I'm wondering if this is a good Idea. My thinking was: Yeah, I know I'm adding oxygen. But That's going to boil off right? Besides, Aren't I adding oxygen every time I stir the mash in the tun? :confused:

If I'm wrong and this method is bad, then what is the preferred method for getting wort into a "Keggle"?

Got any pictures of your setup? The two seemingly most common ways are gravity fed from MLT to BK, or the ever popular March Pump. So not sure why you can't put the keggle below the MLT instead of the ale pail. I'd say siphon from the ale pail to the keggle, you're already lifting it above the keggle but you could avoid some splashing this way.
Alternatively - RDWHAHB - it'll turn out fine and with the quantities we make, and at the speed we drink there will probably be nothing negatively noticeable in your beer from this technique.

-OCD

First, in my experience, those markings on ale pales are not very accurate. I wouldn't worry too much about the aeration, but if you can avoid it and make your life easier, I would.

Here is how I do it: get some cold water and add it to your keggle one gallon at a time. Put a long plastic spoon in there (I do it upside down) and mark the level on the spoon. I actually just started the marks at 5 gallons, marked 5, 6, 7, and 8 gallon. I then scratched the mark in using a knife and cleaned the marker off. Now all I have to do is let it run from the MLT and I can periodically check it with the spoon. This also good to judge how much you are boiling off during the boil.

This is the cheap/easy method. You could also get a sightglass.

If you catch the runnings in a pail with a spigot (bottling bucket), you can sit up on top of the kettle and let it drain in through a piece of tubing that extends to the bottom to reduce hot side aeration worries. Yes, HSA is highly debatable but anecdotally, I noticed an improvement in wort quality since I stopped outright pouring my running into the kettle.

By the way Kornbread, I just caught this video you did and it's really good man. Great production!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysD3FfYYs_0]YouTube - Homebrewing with Kornbread - Blonde Ale[/ame]

First, in my experience, those markings on ale pales are not very accurate. I wouldn't worry too much about the aeration, but if you can avoid it and make your life easier, I would.

Here is how I do it: get some cold water and add it to your keggle one gallon at a time. Put a long plastic spoon in there (I do it upside down) and mark the level on the spoon. I actually just started the marks at 5 gallons, marked 5, 6, 7, and 8 gallon. I then scratched the mark in using a knife and cleaned the marker off. Now all I have to do is let it run from the MLT and I can periodically check it with the spoon. This also good to judge how much you are boiling off during the boil.

This is the cheap/easy method. You could also get a sightglass.

That's a good Idea. I'm not brewing this weekend. (My fermenter's are full...) So, I'll get out the kettle and my big measuring cup and mark my spoon. Then I can just extend the hose on my MLT so that it reaches near the bottom.

My issue is that I mash inside and boil outside. I do the first runnings into the kettle. Then, rather than let the wort just cool off in the kettle for the time it takes to sparge, I put the kettle on the burner and catch the second and third runnings in another kettle. I have just been pouring this on top of the other wort and there is considerable splashing.

I have not worried myself about it, but I do make long lived beers. Potentially years. So maybe I should worry more.

Back