Favorite IPA Hop Combos

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wobdee

Reaction score
What are your favorite hop combos or do you like to go with just one or a blend like Falconers and Zythos? I've noticed many like Amarillo and Simcoe together, I'm thinking that will be my next brew.

I like Centennial and Citra with the bulk being Centennial and late and dry hop additions being Citra.

Also, did a great pale ale with all chinook in the boil and citra as a dry hop and it's one of the best pale ales I've tasted. I wouldn't have thought that to be the case by looking at the recipe.

I have a Chinook, Amarillo, Cascade on tap now, Falconers Flight on deck and a Zythos in the carboy. So many combos, so little time. Also have some Citra hops that are getting lonely in my freezer.

Chinook/Citra produced my best IPA so far. I'm thinking of doing a Nugget/Citra IPA next. Anyone tried it?

It might be boring sounding, but my favorite is colombus cascade. Nice and simple, heavy on the cascade late. If I'm feeling adventurous, I'll throw some citra in with the cascade dry hop.

NZ Cascade and Motueka are a brilliant pairing for an APA.

I'm horrible at creating recipes, but I stumbled upon a wonderful Super Alpa and Riwaka combination that makes a real nice IPA. I'm going to explore more of the NZ hops. So far, I've not met one I don't like!

Ha! I just realized my avatar is a self portrait of me with the Super Alpha/Riwaka IPA mash!!

Pretty similar to what people have posted...I like summit, citra, and centennial. Any way you combine them or any two together tastes fantastic.

Just did a columbus/cascade IPA last week. Great combo

I like some dankness and pine with my citrus and fruit. Too much tropical fruity hops tastes like one note hop juice, instead of a harmony of hop flavors. You can go overboard on fruity hops... a little goes a long way, so I like them best at flameout since they don't dominate the final beer with this addition, but are not completely lost either.

So something like Apollo, Chinook, Simcoe in the boil, with the smallest touch of Amarillo and Citra at flameout along with the ACS mix. ACS mix exclusively in the dryhop.

Columbus, Simcoe, Centennial, & Chinook. Columbus at 60 and 30. Simcoe and Centennial at 15. Dry Hop with Simcoe, Centennial & Chinook (with a ratio of approx. 2:1:1). Simcoe, Citra, & Amarillo is also nice. Just did a Nelson Sauvin and Moteuka that smelled great.

sooo many...

Currently on tap and loving are

Nelson, Citra, Simcoe
Citra and Southerncross

Also a huge fan of

Chinook, Simcoe, Ammarillo, Citra
Southerncross and nelson
Amarillo....and nothing...

What's that NZ Southern Cross like? I haven't been able to find them. I do want to try some of those Aussie and NZ hops one of these days.

I have a Big Red IIPA that is just about due for dry hopping. I have Columbus, Centennial, Citra, Simcoe, Amarillo and Zythos in the freezer. Which ones would you dry hop with?

Currently my favorite combo is Columbus, Chinook and Simcoe. The flavor and aroma from this combo is amazing.

Really into the falconers 7c's and cascade combo as of late. 1:1 ratio late and dry. I swear this tastes like oranges

I make an IPA with Warrior ( my favorite hop), Amarillo and Willamette (flameout and dry hop) which consistently comes out sry tasty. I use 1 oz Warrior at 60 min and get ~ 60 IBU.

I make a Double ipa I've been pretty fond of with warrior, amarillo, simcoe and palisades.

I like Centennial and Citra with the bulk being Centennial and late and dry hop additions being Citra.

Also, did a great pale ale with all chinook in the boil and citra as a dry hop and it's one of the best pale ales I've tasted. I wouldn't have thought that to be the case by looking at the recipe.

+1 on centennial & citra.

Equal parts of Simcoe, Centennial, and Citra for me. Love that combo.

Latest posts

Back