What to do with left over hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zac

Thread Killer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not weighing them out, but I've got somewhere north of a pound of left over hops, in varying weights from 1/6 oz up to 3/4 oz, of quite a few varities. Some of the left-overs I have I dont even know what they are, just that they have all been in the freezer for a little less than a year. I think it's time to brew up some left-over beer.

Anybody have grain bill suggestions? maybe a SMAH (Single Malt All Hops) beer? Maybe formulate an IPA grain bill & see what the hops give me?

For those that ask yes, I do know what some of the hops are, no I dont know what all of them are, and No, I'm going to list out what hops I have in stock. I'm just trying to get rid of some stuff without involving the septic tank!

Thanks
Zac

It would be a crime against beermanity to let those hops make it to the septic tank unfiltered by human kidneys. I volunteer my kidneys to help the cause to and prevent the travesty.

Kilted, whacha thinking? add up all the hops I hope to use & divide the # of pellets by the # of minutes I boil?

Maybe do a huge IIPA grain bill, 20 or so lbs grain, then add the hops up, divide by 90 & throw 3 or 4 pellets in a minute? Got a grain bill suggestion?

Kilted, whacha thinking? add up all the hops I hope to use & divide the # of pellets by the # of minutes I boil?

Maybe do a huge IIPA grain bill, 20 or so lbs grain, then add the hops up, divide by 90 & throw 3 or 4 pellets in a minute? Got a grain bill suggestion?

You didnt ask me, but I will chime in anyway :)

I did an IIPA with 25% Munich, 60% 2Row, 10% Dextrose and 5% Carapils. I think there was a pinch of Chocolate Malt in there too. It is different than the normal beer, and with 8 oz of hops (6 boil, 2 dry) its not for everyone.

OG came out about 1.080. Its delicious.

Edit: I like the idea of mixing up the hops and adding throughout the boil, but my personal preference is to have more late addition hops... I would keep 2/3 for the second half of the boil. Oh, and make sure you don't forget First Wort and Dry Hops

s3n8, thats perzactly what I'm looking for. im really leaning towards some kinda of over the top IIPA. 6 oz of hops dont scare me! I dont like the idea of choc malt in an IPA.

WOnder if anybody will fault me for not knowing exactly how I made it?ie I dont have a freegin clue what some of the hops are....

you think throwing a few hop pellets along would get-er-done

The Choco malt was at most a few oz for color. I wanted a deep red malty but very dry hop bomb. I got it down to 1.009 by mashing at 149 for 90 minutes. I love it. This is your brew though. I like the idea of the constant additions and mixing the hops. I sure it will be unique.

ok, I might try it. (the choc malt) I'm not looking for a DFH 120 min, just something super hoppy. I'll experiment around & see what I come up with. You think a lower mash temp & longer time would help on this type of adventure?

I know I have Liberty, Halletru, Norther Brewer, Willamette, Warrior, Cascade, Fuggles, E. Kent Goldings, and at least 4 or 5 more types unknown.

I'm kinda stoked to do this. I guess if its too much of a hop bomb I can blend with another batch of IPA I made that just wasnt as hoppy as I like.

sweet. thanks. Anybody else got suggestions?

Sorry to post and run. I think that was the last thing I did at work today. But it looks like you've got things coming along.

My Bent Rod Rye is a great one for using up hops. I did one batch with seven hops, none over 1/2 ounce.

You think a lower mash temp & longer time would help on this type of adventure?

Anybody else got suggestions?

I would mash hot like 155-156 or so. If your doing an??? IPA I would think you would want the malt also to shine, and use the hops to balance.
Heck if it’s just a play beer why not toast some of your own malt as well, add a bunch of carapills or cara red just for fun just keep your crystals on the low side if 20%
have fun
Cheers
JJ

Aiight, got part of a recipie started:
11.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row)
4 lbs IPA blend (2 lbs pilsner, 1.5 Vienna, .5 Biscuit)
I'm thinking something else.... maybe candi sugar?

HELP!

Update:

upped the 2-row to 15 lbs
kept the 4 lbs of IPA blend with a pound of clear candy sugar

added the hops at every minute for 90 minutes.

This is one of the best beers I have ever made. I sampled a few bottles, and now declare this beer ready for consumption.

I call it: Wal-Mart X IIPA

Update:

upped the 2-row to 15 lbs
kept the 4 lbs of IPA blend with a pound of clear candy sugar

added the hops at every minute for 90 minutes.

This is one of the best beers I have ever made. I sampled a few bottles, and now declare this beer ready for consumption.

I call it: Wal-Mart X IIPA

Nice Zac
I think you should send everybody that posted help a bottle. :D

Back