Best homebrew competitions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would think the best is the national homebrew competition or the great american beer fesitivle. But those are the hardest to win cuz of all the competition

I would think the best is the national homebrew competition or the great american beer fesitivle. But those are the hardest to win cuz of all the competition

The GABF doesn't really have a homebrew competition. There is a Pro-Am competition where pro brewers team up with an amateur and brew their recipe.

Aside from the NHC there are some other larger competitions that I guess would be considered prestigious, but really if your looking for feedback then I'd say enter as many as you can with the same beers. Since every judge is different, even judging to published style guidelines is subjective.

The top competitions are 'feed' from local competitions and don't take direct entries.

The top competitions are 'feed' from local competitions and don't take direct entries.

Is this true of the NHC or can one just send them directly without cause or an invite? I always wondered if you had to qualify for certain competitions.

I entered my first competition this year. I sent a Porter, Pale Ale, and Wheat into the Minnesota State Fair. I am curious for feedback but don't have high hopes. The competition in MN is quite good. The Homebrew club of the year and the 2008 Nikasi Award winner are both from MN.

I entered the Sam Adam's Longshot contest and got a pretty nice t-shirt for my efforts, not to mention valuable feedback on the beer I entered. I didn't plan ahead and have more beers ready at the submission time, but next year I'm entering at least two. I'm looking forward to correcting the flaws in the one I entered and see how the results improve.

I entered the Sam Adam's Longshot contest and got a pretty nice t-shirt for my efforts, not to mention valuable feedback on the beer I entered. I didn't plan ahead and have more beers ready at the submission time, but next year I'm entering at least two. I'm looking forward to correcting the flaws in the one I entered and see how the results improve.

I did too. I entered in the American IPA catagory and scored a 31. What was your score? They said my beer was a little skunked but overall very good - next year I will send next day air with ice packs!

I did too. I entered in the American IPA catagory and scored a 31. What was your score? They said my beer was a little skunked but overall very good - next year I will send next day air with ice packs!

Pretty sure skunking isn't from temp... it's from exposure to light . That's why Sam Adams only uses dark brown bottles and Heineken always tastes skunked... light gets through the green (lighter) bottles.

Pretty sure skunking isn't from temp... it's from exposure to light . That's why Sam Adams only uses dark brown bottles and Heineken always tastes skunked... light gets through the green (lighter) bottles.

Then it wasn't skunked. I use only new brown bottles and the beer is kept in the basement in an interior room until drank or shipped.

Back