beer kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lfark

Reaction score
i have brewed several batches using the malt extracts, hops and yeast. quite frankly they were all very tasty.

i saw a morgans ipa can on sale (1.7 kilos), just add sugar and the yeast. i am drinking it now.

it doesn't taste nearly as good. a flavor i would describe as fruity.

should i have used the dry malt extract instead of sugar?

did they hop the canned malt enough?

well "fruity" can be several things.....

If you used table sugar, that can impart a "cidery" flavor, it is a good idea to use extract over sugar anyday of the week.

What temperature was your fermentation at? If it is too warm for the yeast you used, it can impart estery or bananna flavors to your beer.

i think the temperature was better than any of the other batches.

i used the good sugar from the brew supply store.

the owner of a wine store said that the kits always taste 'funny'.

I'd definitely use extract (liquid or dry is up to you). Might also consider a different yeast than one that comes with the kit, as this may be part of the issue too. Oh, and it's an IPA, so grab some other hops and steep too, more hops is always good. :)

If it is fruity, perhaps the yeast is causing it? Some yeast can produce fruity flavours. And at certain temperatures too.

As a general rule, sugar should be avoided (except it's OK for priming when you bottle). Using it as a substitute for malt is just about never a good idea unless there is some specific recipe need for it (like, for example, if you are trying to replicate some colonial beer recipe).

I also suggest that you used unhopped extracts and add in what you like according to your own taste.

Back