Dumb question time for a kegging newb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I want to keg, so the rumor around here is I'm getting some equipment for Christmas. Now, I'm not particularly handy but I can follow directions.

Initially, I'm just getting two kegs with picnic taps and sticking them in the fridge. I have several dorm sized fridges (long story) and I can bend the freezer on one pretty easily.

But,,,,,,,I have bigger plans. I can either have a friend help me and put a tower on the dorm fridge or use the fridge in my cottage. The cottage fridge is a 3/4 fridge and I think it would rock. I think it would hold four kegs (but not the co2 tank), and I could have my friend drill through the side and install the shanks/taps.
Now, with the dorm fridge I'd be permanently limited to two kegs. So, I'm leaning towards using the cottage fridge. Am I missing anything? I would think the bigger fridge would be easier as well, especially if we drill through the side.

I haven't yet told my husband about me "stealing" the fridge out of the cottage. I bought it used for $40 so I can always just try to find another fridge for the cottage by next spring!

Considering the variety of beverages you brew, I think you would be much happier with a 4 keg system. My first kegger was a 10 cu. ft. and it handled four kegs quite nicely. I used the freezer compartment for mouse-proof storage. It wasn't always frozen, but cold enough.

I have one of the dorm fridges with tower because I have limited space in my apartment; but if you have something that you can use that can hold more the 2 kegs GO FOR IT!!!!!

I wish I had the space for a full size fridge as a kegerator, 2 kegs is nowhere near enough and I don't think I brew as often as it sounds like you do (I could be wrong, just guessing from various posts and such).

TheJadedDog said:
I have one of the dorm fridges with tower because I have limited space in my apartment; but if you have something that you can use that can hold more the 2 kegs GO FOR IT!!!!!

I wish I had the space for a full size fridge as a kegerator, 2 kegs is nowhere near enough and I don't think I brew as often as it sounds like you do (I could be wrong, just guessing from various posts and such).

You guys are right- I do brew quite often. Right now I don't have any open primaries or carboys or I'd be brewing tomorrow. (Unless I take a ride to go buy a carboy- that's a possibility).

I usually only have two brews that I'm drinking, though. But still, right now I have one that I would keg if I had the equipment! I have to bottle it sometime. I was thinking that I could put the beer in a keg and just condition it until I"m ready. I am a little concerned that once I keg I'll start drinking more. The line of empties in the kitchen is visual proof that I've already had a good amount. (I like to drink about 16 ounces a night- no more because then I'd get fat).

I was also thinking about a dedicated tap to my son's rootbeer. He'd love that!

Yup, you'll be very tempted to drink more once you keg. I put on about 15 pounds my first 3 months of kegging, still can't lose it!
I still say you go with "bigger is better" - you don't need to keep 4 on tap necessarily, but you can definitely use the space for storing yeast, lagering, extended aging, clarifying a wine before racking, etc.
The picnic taps get old quick -- like in about a week - I started with them and got the tower and rest of the stuff very shortly thereafter. But --- enjoy the gift - it's a great gift!

A few things to keep in mind.

1. Whatever keg capacity you choose, buy double the amount of kegs or at least two extra. It's nice to be able to rack to keg to free up carboys when the beer clears. When you kick one keg, you'll have a few ready to choose from.

2. Picnic faucets seem like a nice bargain for temporary dispensing but you'll pay the price in energy costs especially on a fridge with a door. Everytime you open to pour, the fridge will come on to cool again. If you spend the money upfront on the shanks and faucets, you'll save energy in the long run. This point only applies if you end up putting off getting real faucets for a year or more.

Go with the bigger fridge or you will kick yourself later.
The picknic taps work just fine for me but I have mine in a chest freezer and out in the garage where it gets 100*+ in the summer and I don't want to have to keep a tower cold too.

Back