Third Shift Brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did quite a bit of research on Third Shift for a blog entry I did (you can click the link in my signature).

I guess I can't be surprised that my blog entry makes up more than half of my views and I think its within the first ten google results for "third shift amber lager", though I haven't checked in a long while.

This is off topic, but I did look at your blog briefly.

I wanted to mention that an "amber lager" is generally considered a German style lager, like Marzen (oktoberfest) or Vienna lager. That's what Third Shift is trying for, from what I understand. That would be BJCP style 3B.

Comparing it to Bell's, which is not an amber lager, but instead an American amber, isn't fair as it's comparing two totally different beer styles. Yes, they both have "amber" in the name, but that's the only similarity. An American amber is nothing like a European amber lager. American amber would be style 10B.

sorry to interrupt the thread with this, but it's one of those major misinformation items that isn't fair. If we're comparing apples to apples, then even bringing up Bell's (which does have an Oktoberfest seasonally and only on draft) is unfair unless the Oktoberfest is compared to the amber lager of Third Shift.

I'm not defending Third Shift, but I think it's only fair to compare the same beer styles.

I can understand why you would bring that up, and perhaps I should have compared it to a Marzen. I just threw that out there while writing because I felt like if a person who doesn't "know beer" were to read it, they'd gain some understanding without my having to delve into discussion about Marzens. I guess if Third Shift were called a Marzen rather than Amber Lager I would have had much more need to do so.

All in all I'll keep this idea in mind for future blog entries.

I can understand why you would bring that up, and perhaps I should have compared it to a Marzen. I just threw that out there while writing because I felt like if a person who doesn't "know beer" were to read it, they'd gain some understanding without my having to delve into discussion about Marzens. I guess if Third Shift were called a Marzen rather than Amber Lager I would have had much more need to do so.

All in all I'll keep this idea in mind for future blog entries.

If not a Marzen (which most people wouldn't know if not really "into" beer), then maybe Sam Adams Boston Lager, which would at least be in the same type of style would be a decent comparison.

If not a Marzen (which most people wouldn't know if not really "into" beer), then maybe Sam Adams Boston Lager, which would at least be in the same type of style would be a decent comparison.

Isn't Sam Adam's Boston Lager supposed to be a Vienna Lager? How do you tell the difference between a Vienna Lager and a Marzen?

Just a thought that occurred to me yesterday, but...

Maybe the big-dog breweries wouldn't have to resort to "shady" marketing like this if a significant portion of the craft brew crowd insists on "judging a book by its cover", and refusing to buy anything produced with any connection to the macrobreweries?

Just a thought that occurred to me yesterday, but...

Maybe the big-dog breweries wouldn't have to resort to "shady" marketing like this if a significant portion of the craft brew crowd insists on "judging a book by its cover", and refusing to buy anything produced with any connection to the macrobreweries?

I've considered this. I'm no beer snob, I just drink what I like. It bothers me when people limit their choices to one or two macro beers, but it also rubs me the wrong way when people talk about craft beer as if it superior. Learn the difference between objectivity and subjectivity, people!

Funny you should say 80's...

I ordered one at our local on Friday, just for sh*ts and giggles, and it reminded me of a these guys:

bj.jpg

Wow. Back then I was pretty young and thought these guys were cool for creating wine coolers kind of like in their back yards.

Now I look at that picture and can easily place 3-piece suits on them and see them for the marketing geniuses they they were. I've been jaded!

Had some on tap last week knowing what it was, but curious after all I have seen on here and elsehwere. Don't bother folks. Almost no flavor whatsoever, malt, hop or otherwise. My g/f tried a sip, and she has a fairly sensitive palate, and just said "this doesn't taste like anything." If someone wanted to give it to me for free, fine. Otherwise, no gracias.

I've considered this. I'm no beer snob, I just drink what I like. It bothers me when people limit their choices to one or two macro beers, but it also rubs me the wrong way when people talk about craft beer as if it superior. Learn the difference between objectivity and subjectivity, people!

+1 on this. Being native Wisconsin, my fridge is stocked with all the finest craft beers from MAdison to Milwaukee but you'll also find a stray Leine's or two and I just enjoyed a Colorado Native on my last trip to Denver.

No, you won't catch me swilling down a bud light...but grab a MGD 64, throw a couple of whole cones of cascade in it and call it beer flavored water and its not bad.

The truth is, I know a lot of the guys in the R&D lab in Miller Valley along with many of the craft brewers and there is a lot of conversations back and forth. Whether you are brewing 5 gallons or 500, they are all still brewers. They just have different price points they have to hit and different audiences to cater too.

Heck, the new head brewer at Capital Brewery in Middleton was pretty high up at Miller and even Dan Carey (New Glarus) worked for...was it Pabst?

Drink what tastes good. If Third Shift (which I haven't tried) trips your trigger, then go for it. If not, keep on moving until you find something that does.

I'm going to go grab a Leine's creamy dark because I like it. I won't be grabbing a Leine's Berry Weis because...I still have no idea what the @#$$ they were thinking.

GVH_Dan said:
+1 on this. Being native Wisconsin, my fridge is stocked with all the finest craft beers from MAdison to Milwaukee but you'll also find a stray Leine's or two and I just enjoyed a Colorado Native on my last trip to Denver.

No, you won't catch me swilling down a bud light...but grab a MGD 64, throw a couple of whole cones of cascade in it and call it beer flavored water and its not bad.

The truth is, I know a lot of the guys in the R&D lab in Miller Valley along with many of the craft brewers and there is a lot of conversations back and forth. Whether you are brewing 5 gallons or 500, they are all still brewers. They just have different price points they have to hit and different audiences to cater too.

Heck, the new head brewer at Capital Brewery in Middleton was pretty high up at Miller and even Dan Carey (New Glarus) worked for...was it Pabst?

Drink what tastes good. If Third Shift (which I haven't tried) trips your trigger, then go for it. If not, keep on moving until you find something that does.

I'm going to go grab a Leine's creamy dark because I like it. I won't be grabbing a Leine's Berry Weis because...I still have no idea what the @#$$ they were thinking.

I agree to an extent. What I don't understand is who the target market is for these beers. If its the craft brew faithful, they/we will obviously find out its a BMC product. If it's the dedicated BMC crowd, then why bother? So it must be someone in the middle, maybe the Sam Adams regular? I think it's great to have more options, but I hope they don't take too many customers away from craft brewers just trying to make ends meet. Without a clear target market, I don't think these beers wills be around too long...I've never seen anyone actually drink a Redd's Apple Ale.

That's easy. The market is people that easily succumb to marketing.

Anyone that is on this forum is either a beer snob that would research any new brand to the end of the earth to discover whether is worthy of their drinking or a beer geek appreciates beer regardless of who makes it but still researches the history of the brewery, brewmaster, etc. I'm pretty sure that neither InBevBud or SABMillerCoorsMolson expects to be able to fool beer geek/snob for long.

They're going for the portion of the population that wants in on craft beer (whether its because its fashionable or they realize) there are alternatives. That's where large advertising budgets quickly convince them that Shock top, Blue Moon, etc. are "craft" beers they need to try.

I guess that's the only thing I hold against them. Stop trying to be something you aren't. Step up and say, "owned by Bud". Heck, it may get more people to put down a bud light long enough to try something better.

Drinking this beer and its not that bad. Its okay you can call me crazy.

They're going for the portion of the population that wants in on craft beer (whether its because its fashionable or they realize) there are alternatives. That's where large advertising budgets quickly convince them that Shock top, Blue Moon, etc. are "craft" beers they need to try.

I guess that's the only thing I hold against them. Stop trying to be something you aren't. Step up and say, "owned by Bud". Heck, it may get more people to put down a bud light long enough to try something better.

But hipsters (and snobs) wouldn't buy anything with Bud on it anyway. My personal opinion is that they realize the stigma that BMC is getting from a portion of the population, so they hide their name and hope people will like what they offer.

What Macrobrew needs to make is an ACTUAL full flavored beer with plenty of ingredients. Maybe then they can escape the well they've dug themselves into.

There are plenty of styles of beer that aren't light lagers or very close to that.

What Macrobrew needs to make is an ACTUAL full flavored beer with plenty of ingredients. Maybe then they can escape the well they've dug themselves into.

There are plenty of styles of beer that aren't light lagers or very close to that.

this will not happen, they (BMC) would price themselves out of their market.

I actually like Angry Orchard, I got it at my local bar when it came out, then found out it was a SA brand, I didn't like the way they were selling it (appeared to be hiding that it was a SA brand) but I enjoyed drinking it, so I still get it when I'm out; there aren't many ciders out there and I really like cider.

I'll give this stuff a try if I see it out at the bar, which is likely since there's Coors money behind it, but it will probably not impress, much like shock top, blue moon, etc. do not impress; although a shock top with a wedge of orange on a hot summers day quenches the thirst just as good as water with a wedge of orange does :)

Let's be clear, we are not the market for these 'craft' beers. BMC does not believe for a second that we're going to put down our Sierra Nevada and pick up a Third Shift. I think the market for this (these) beer (beers) are the regular BMC drinkers who are 'craft curious'.

The 'craft curious' have heard the talk and are wondering what all the fuss is about. They'd like to try this 'gourmet beer' for themselves, but they are not going to spend $10.49 on a four pack. Here's a beer that's 'crafty' and accessible at $7 a sixer.

If they do try it, they won't find it so different from their BMC stand-by (again, accessible) - just a little more flavor and character. If they like it, they now have a 'crafty' beer they can buy for special occasions and social situations.

BMC is setting up a firewall for the flight of fizzy yellow drinkers. Pretty crafty of them - they get to recapture some of their lost market and get paid a little more in the process.

BMC may also be evolving in response to the success of craft beer. Let's assume that they recognize that the beer drinking palate is becoming more sophisticated. They want to respond to beer drinkers change in taste, but they can't risk messing with the beers that are their bread and butter. So they create a new brand that meets the needs of 'new' drinkers. That's just good business.

None of it necessarily means they are trying to trick true craft beer lovers into buying Bud.

None of it necessarily means they are trying to trick true craft beer lovers into buying Bud.

you're right, they're not trying to trick us, they're trying to trick Bud drinkers into drinking more Bud

I don't have a problem at all with the beer itself, it's the deceptive marketing that's the problem.

if they just said, "hey, it's us, we've seen the increased interest in the craft brew market and we're trying to get in on the action, here's our newest product" then I would be OK with that.

I still wouldn't drink it and would mock it mercilessly, but at least they would be honest

I suspect in the near future, the beer aisle at grocery stores will look like the cereal aisle. You see a whole wall of cereal choices but when you start looking closer you notice its Cheerios, Chocolate Cheerios, Carmel Cheerios, Fruity Cheerios...keep looking and you notice every cereal is made by General Mills, Kellogg or its a store brand (which is Malt-O-Meal).

"Wait..." you say, "my wife buys me Kashi..." Sorry, that's Kellogs. "Also Cascadian Farms Organic..." General Mills...etc.

Much like the cereal aisle, they will continually change names, change packaging, change colors to keep people interested. Look at Leine's. I think they come out with a new "flavor" every 3 months or so and change their "yearly" offerings just as often.

This is how they need to adapt to maintain their market share. I've basically given up and I'll try anything. If its good, I may have it again. If it's not...I only drink it when my wife buys it for me because she saw a billboard or something.

But hipsters (and snobs) wouldn't buy anything with Bud on it anyway. My personal opinion is that they realize the stigma that BMC is getting from a portion of the population, so they hide their name and hope people will like what they offer.

But this is for different reasons. Beer snobs don't buy Bud because 1. they know better and 2. its beneath them.

Hipsters don't drink Bud because that would make them the same as everyone. Hipsters don't necessarily have good taste (like a beer geek/snob), they are just looking for something to differentiate themselves.

Look for an article about Pabst's popularity with hipsters in Portland. Pabst saw sales rising. When they advertised, the hipsters walked away and sales fell. When they stopped, sales started rising again.

I thought it was horrible. No flavor,body. Tasted to me like corn water with vodka in it. Id take a home brewed Pale ale,apa or ipa any day. I do have a choice of local brews but your going to pay for them.

Maybe they are reverse markiting it ? Maybe they know its awful and made it to look like a craft brew ? That way when a BMC drinker tries it "thinking there drinking a craft beer" and sees how horrible it is and go's back to there Bud light ?

Maybe they are reverse markiting it ? Maybe they know its awful and made it to look like a craft brew ? That way when a BMC drinker tries it "thinking there drinking a craft beer" and sees how horrible it is and go's back to there Bud light ?

Deviously brilliant...

I got punked. Went to the store to pick up anything BUT Bud or Coors and got something full of deceit. And yes after home brewing and trying this, I was offended by the label.

Let's be clear, we are not the market for these 'craft' beers. BMC does not believe for a second that we're going to put down our Sierra Nevada and pick up a Third Shift. I think the market for this (these) beer (beers) are the regular BMC drinkers who are 'craft curious'.

The 'craft curious' have heard the talk and are wondering what all the fuss is about. They'd like to try this 'gourmet beer' for themselves, but they are not going to spend $10.49 on a four pack. Here's a beer that's 'crafty' and accessible at $7 a sixer.

If they do try it, they won't find it so different from their BMC stand-by (again, accessible) - just a little more flavor and character. If they like it, they now have a 'crafty' beer they can buy for special occasions and social situations.

BMC is setting up a firewall for the flight of fizzy yellow drinkers. Pretty crafty of them - they get to recapture some of their lost market and get paid a little more in the process.

BMC may also be evolving in response to the success of craft beer. Let's assume that they recognize that the beer drinking palate is becoming more sophisticated. They want to respond to beer drinkers change in taste, but they can't risk messing with the beers that are their bread and butter. So they create a new brand that meets the needs of 'new' drinkers. That's just good business.

Good post and I agree.

I thought it was horrible. No flavor,body. Tasted to me like corn water with vodka in it. Id take a home brewed Pale ale,apa or ipa any day. I do have a choice of local brews but your going to pay for them.

I would take it one step farther and say I'd take a Budweiser original over it. I bought one bottle of it just a day or so ago. Looks like BlueMoon is still my goto Miller/Coors beverage.

Beers are like women. Blondes, gingers, brunettes....high maintenance, low maintenance. They all advertise differently. Yet what matters is inside. Sometimes you get what you pay for. Sometimes you don't. Either way, somehow neither of us ever stopped at one. Variety is what gives life flavor and clothes don't make the man.

This has been an HBT public service announcement.

Beers are like women. Blondes, gingers, brunettes....high maintenance, low maintenance. They all advertise differently. Yet what matters is inside. Sometimes you get what you pay for. Sometimes you don't. Either way, somehow neither of us ever stopped at one. Variety is what gives life flavor and clothes don't make the man.

This has been an HBT public service announcement.

That's real deep, beautiful :')

Beers are like women...Sometimes you get what you pay for. Sometimes you don't. Either way, somehow neither of us ever stopped at one. Variety is what gives life flavor and clothes don't make the man.

You pay for women?

You pay for women?

may not be in coin, but there's always a payment*

*I hear this being said in Tyrion Lannister's (Peter Dinklage) voice. I must have GoT on my mind, haven't watched last night's episode, but that's something The Imp would say.

Back