Glass carboy as primary question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rascal

Reaction score
I'm still a newbie with 4 or 5 brews under my belt but still coming up with additional questions. I've got the brewing fever right now and ready to do another one. I've got 2 in primary buckets right now and don't want to disturb them. I've never used the carboy as the primary and just wanted to try it. I was thinking about using my bottling bucket to pour the wort back and forth between it and my pot for aeration. Do I pitch the yeast before I funnel it into the carboy or wait until after or does it even matter. Great board by the way and thanks in advance for any replies.

I always primary in my carboys cuz i like to see what's goin on. you wanna pitch your yeast right before you put your airlock on. So after everything is finished up and your ready to walk away, that's when you throw the yeast in there.

Definitely use the carboy as a primary - just be sure to use a blow off tube during fermentation.

I haven't had any aeration problems by just siphoning the wort into the carboy - although I use a filter in a funnel to get the wort into it. Between that and the splashing, it gets aerated pretty good.

I pitch the yeast in after the wort is in. If you have starsan bubbles in your carboy and pitch the yeast before the wort is in there, you may have problems - but I'm not really sure on that.

OK. Thanks. Watching the action for the first time is kind of what I had in mind as well as wanting to brew another one.

My favorite thing about a glass carboy is easily rigging a 1in. OD blow off tube. No way that's getting clogged.

Back