First mead did i mess it up ??????????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thedude00

Reaction score
Make a simple 5 gallon of honey mead everything started great less then a hour later airlock going like crazy all good. The kit i got has had 3 sachet of Nutrient Blend you put in each day after brew day. Did the first yesturday everything went fine. Did one today and it foamed like crazy and some came out of my carboy and all over my floor, did i lose the nutrients i just put in Should i worry about it or is all good and i am just worrying about something i shouldnt

^^

I only use one dose of nutrient with mine, and thats when it's goes into the carboy.
Mead is great because theres really not much you can do to botch it.
Just clean your airlock / replace with clean one
Have fun

^^

I only use one dose of nutrient with mine, and thats when it's goes into the carboy.
Mead is great because theres really not much you can do to botch it.
Just clean your airlock / replace with clean one
Have fun

Not a winemaker, so can't really comment on that much, but mead does definitely benefit from *staggered* nutrient additions -- I'm pretty impressed the OP's kit came with SNA additions!

Certainly a big +1 to the rest of ftonz's advice!

What GinKings mentions regarding dissolving the nutrients in a little heated water is good advice too, and I'd also add that you really should degas your mead before adding additions; not only is this good practice anyway, but it definitely helps prevent what happened to you -- known in the mead circles as a 'MEA' (Mead Eruption Accident)!

in addition to dissolving it in a little water first, you could also try adding half in the morning when you get up and half when you get back at night. That might help.

lazy is perfect for mead. you wont be in a rush to bittle so it age well. as for the topic as stated you are good. i have made mead without nutrients but its best to use some.

Back