american wheat ale at low temps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhineinAlbany

Reaction score
I'm planning on making one of the AHS American style wheat ale kits. Since my brew room is now in the low 60s, I was going to get some of the notty yeast since it's cold tolerant. Will this fit the style? As I understand it, American styles are supposed to have a cleaner yeast flavor than their European counterparts.

Just trying to determine if i need to whip out the water bath with the fish tank heater (I'm planning to anyway for a future belgian white ale).

I just did an American Wheat extract batch and my fermentation room is in the low 60's as well. I used US-05 and it has been chugging right along. So you should be ok using the suggested yeast. Maybe just put something in between the fermentor and the floor to keep it up off the cold floor. I'm not a pro that's for sure but just trying to help.

I've done them as lagers which is per style guidelines. Don't know that it would place in a contest as it's not how you would commonly find it. I would say an ale yeast at cooler temps is more accurate.

Back