Though on Porter with carafa special as the only roasted grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PtotheL

Reaction score
I'm planning on brewing a porter which will only use dehusked carafa as far as roasted grains go.

My goal there is to get as much coffee flavor (and maybe some chocoaltey flavor too) as possible out of the grain with as little dryness/astringency/acrid flavors as possible. Roast is ok, but it should be playing second role here.

I was thinking something along the line of:

78% Marris Otter (3.0SRM)
8% Cystal 80 (80.0SRM)
4% Caramunich (56.0SRM)

4% Dehusked Carafa Special I (337.0 SRM)
4% Dehusked Carafa Special II (412.0 SRM)
2% Dehusked Carafa Special III (525.0 SRM)

Did anyone tried something along that line ? What are your thoughts ?

I have used Carafa for Porters before and no other roasts. I've even used it for oatmeal stouts. It's all personal. I have decided that Carafa is not for me. The flavor is just....well.....weird to me. Doesn't suit my palate I guess. Think of a dunkel without the yeast notes.

When I see a dark beer, I want a little bite of roasted barley or a chocolate malt flavor - I am not really a fan of blackened IPA's for this reason, too. If you want to smoothe it out, how about coffee malt and chocolate malts? If you want it dark you could add a bit of black patent for color adjustment.

Just my $0.02.

Back