SG INCREASE on day 2 normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dayflyer55

Reaction score
This is is my first mead. I started 2 gallons of Malkore's (not so) Ancient Orange Mead, and OG read at 1.075 (i figure that probably low for a mead, but i decided to just run with it). Today, i took another reading and saw that the SG had actually gone up to 1.08! I assume this just has to so with the sugars settling to the bottom of the fermentor. but is this normal or does some action need to be taken here?
Thanks for the help

I was actually just going to ask the same thing. I put together a mead last night and got an OG of 1.110, but today I recheck the SG and got 1.115. I also made sure to mix it thoroughly. So I will be interested to see what others have to say.

This is is my first mead. I started 2 gallons of Malkore's (not so) Ancient Orange Mead, and OG read at 1.075 (i figure that probably low for a mead, but i decided to just run with it). Today, i took another reading and saw that the SG had actually gone up to 1.08! I assume this just has to so with the sugars settling to the bottom of the fermentor. but is this normal or does some action need to be taken here?
Thanks for the help

As a noob, myself, you should take what I have to say with a grain of salt :D

The hydrometer measures how much sugar, or solubles, are in the solution(your must). If you have a healthy fermentation going on than I believe it is logical to suspect that the MILLIONS of yeast cells (product of the lag phase; Mitosis) have now increased the relative density of your soon-to-be-mead and are therefore causing an increase in the measurement of specific gravity.

JMHO,
Jonas

How well did you mix before taking readings?

My guess is some of the honey was not in solution when the readings were taken, active fermentation=vigorous mixing, more sugar mixed in.

Either that or a dramatic change in temperature of the must....

Well I can tell you that I stirred the crap out of mine. Drill and all. I would assume that the yeast theory is probably close to right.

There are a couple of things that can cause this:
1. All the honey was not dissolved at the time of the first measurement but later was dissolved in.
2. CO2 bubbles produced during fermentation stick to the side of the hydrometer and buoy it up. To get accurate readings it may help to degas the sample (shaking it well works). Spinning the hydrometer may work, but not well enough to suit me.

Medsen

Back