Whiskey barrels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you just want an oak barrel, and not necessarily a used barrel, they can be had in many different sizes from various sources. SWMBO got me a 5 gallon toasted oak barrel for Christmas. If you really want a used barrel, they can also be had through the Jack Daniels General Store. No website, but you can call 1-888-221-5225 and ask for Brandi. But only for barrel info. :D

I have been thinking about road tripping to pick up a Jack Daniels barrel soon... I just need to figure out how to strap it to my xterra... heheheee... do you have an rough dimensions of the barrels..?? and any pics..?? Thanks..

Jester

I've been thinking about buying one of these . . . . link. You could do small batch. In order to get the whiskey flavor, though, you'd have to age a whiskey prior to aging a beer in them.

Pretty cheap, though (relatively speaking, I guess). And very small.

sonvolt said:
I've been thinking about buying one of these . . . . link. You could do small batch. In order to get the whiskey flavor, though, you'd have to age a whiskey prior to aging a beer in them.

Pretty cheap, though (relatively speaking, I guess). And very small.
My advice is to do some research before selecting a vendor. I've heard conflicting reports about some of the barrels out there... including those.

I too have been thinking about aging something in charred oak but not keen on the ~$140 cost of a 5 gallon barrel. I think I'm going to get some oak chips and roast them in the oven or on the grill before adding to a secondary...once I perfect a balance of recipie and aging, maybe I'll get one?

Might be something to ask for a birthday...:ban:

You can get the chips already toasted and drop them into a sanitized jar with some really good bourbon. Be sure to keep them covered as they will absorb some of the bourbon.
I had them soaking for over 7 months. drained off the bourbon and racked ontop of the cubes. Worked out really nice.

Altho I am considering getting one of the used barrels when I switch over to all grain and larger than 10 galon batches. Get a few in secondary untill I have enough to fill a barrel.

Or like Beer4breakfast suggested, get one of the guys from the LHBS (does 25 gal batches) and the owner to brew and combining them in the barrel.

I bought two half barrels from them for planters in my garden. They send them by FedEx. If I remember right, shipping alone was over $60. Someday I'm going to buy a bundle of staves and make a wine rack.

Latest posts

Back